Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,857   Posts: 1,583,065   Online: 898

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ggervais View Post
    OK so now that you guys made me buy a GW690II, can someone recommend a good lens cap for it? I don't think Fuji makes them anymore...
    Haha! Our job here is done....

(Any generic cap would work...)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The filter thread on the GW690II is 67mm. My lens cap say Tamron. Any should work.
    My flickr stream

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    As said, any generic 67mm lens cap will be fine. The original was a slip on and there is the clever reasonement that it helps you not forgetting it, as while you deploy the hood, you remove the cap as well. But some hated it once it slipped off too often.

I use a generic eBay chinese center pinch lens cap. Toe me it seems that pinch caps are better as the hood doesn't get in the way while removing it.

Tomorrow I'll bring my GW over for a day trip, looking forward to shoot some frames.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep got a very nice pinch cap for 0.99 [including shipping!] from that bay thing. Thx!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by gzinsel View Post
    I had a horseman VHR, sold it for a fuji gw690III. I have not looked back once! MY fuji is great. I love it. However, for some people, it does not deliver(in terms of complete package). All cameras have their good and bad qualities. for me, this plays out as: I like the lens, nice rendition, nice contrast. I like 6x9 over 6x7, If I need 1:20 ratio, I crop. I do not like 6x7 sleeves,neg holders. petty but. . . something to consider. Fully manual. has two shutter release front(face) and top plate. I like the slightly wide 90mm. a.k.a 40 mm in 135. I do mostly cityscape landscape. I like to not worry about changing lenses. the camera also allows a strap to be used sideways, I prefer that.
    o.k.not so nice part: 5 elements in four groups, not bad, but 6/4 is better, a nice lens, but. . . non interchangeable. I ping or loudish click is heard when pressing the shutter release. rangefinder is not 1:1, but .75, or .72, I can not remember. some people have a hard time loading film, keeping it tight, for as to have even spacing through the roll. ???? i do not understand that? I have not had problems, so go figure.. . . . . no double exposure option? the camera is kind of heavy. you do see the lens in the rangefinder, it does cover some portion of the frame. some people do not like that.
    over all, its a very easy camera to use, user friendly, a good lens, and good negatives, for the price. but thats where the rub is. For some they want more, and are willing to pay more for the design, say a mamiya 6x7 or a blad,! just sayin' for about 500 USD, you can get a medium format rangefinder, which will do about 70-90% of your photographic needs, maybe more, maybe less. however, I thinks a good deal. for what it is.
    The GW690III is the best camera I have ever used, and I have used a lot of cameras. The only problem is the lack of a meter but just buy one. Photographers need meters. Those TMAX 100 and 160NC negatives are so beautiful. Don't even get me started on the Velvias. The lens is magnificent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone I am convinced.... Put a bid on one and watching many others....

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by damonff View Post
    The GW690III is the best camera I have ever used, and I have used a lot of cameras. The only problem is the lack of a meter but just buy one. Photographers need meters. Those TMAX 100 and 160NC negatives are so beautiful. Don't even get me started on the Velvias. The lens is magnificent.
    +1 on the meter. After all it is a quasi LF camera, and even if one can shoot street with it, a thoughful approach works best.
    I have messed with smartphone meter apps and haven't quite felt comfortable with them. Guesstimation is hit or miss on some light conditions and the lack of precision leaves a weak link on the chain. This and with the bad bad weather I had this week doesn't encourage me to go shooting.
    I've got a Minolta IIIF on the way with its incident + 10º spot and that will help me to do proper readings for exposure. 75$ can bring a decent used meter in the bag.

On complaints, some put to notice the lack of meter in the camera... It is a MF RF where electronic aids are more the exception than the norm, and many classic cameras such as Leicas are unmetered as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by klop View Post
    Thanks everyone I am convinced.... Put a bid on one and watching many others....
    Unless you get one for a LOT cheaper and from a 100% positive feedback eBayer I'd buy from KEH.com (6 mo warranty and 14-day return policy), watch here:

http://classic.keh.com/Camera/format...cc=2864&r=WG&f
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pro

Medium format is a compromise between small format film and large format film
    Wide selections of films are available
    Very durable and dependable manual/mechanical camera
    Does not need batteries to operate
    Easy to make big enlargements from medium size negative image
    Negatives can be retouched
    Quieter operation than comparable SLR camera
    Bright viewfinder image
    Easy to focus with dark filter on lens
    Electronic flash sync at all shutter speeds
    Minimal vibrations during exposure
    Subject visible in viewfinder at moment of exposure
    Camera is about the same size, weight, and feel as a Nikon F2 with a motor drive
    Available with normal lens or wide angle lens
    Good for scenic shots
    Good for group shots
    Good for full-length portraits
    Good for aerial shots
    Polycarbonate (plastic) body wears well
    Molded polycarbonate body feels good in hands
    Built-in spirit level for horizontal (landscape orientation) shots
    Has hot shoe and standard PC flash connection
    Shot counter keeps track of camera usage
    Tripod socket centrally located on underside of body
    Accepts standard shutter release cable
    Film reminder holder on camera back

https://flic.kr/p/92o73R
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fuji Rangefinders sml.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Con

Medium format is a compromise between small format film and large format film
    Must wait until film is processed in order to see and evaluate image
    Cost of film processing
    Does not have automatic/electronic features
    Digital cameras have just about made film cameras obsolete
    Parallax problem when using close-up supplemental lens
    Not good for macrophotography
    Not good for extreme wide-angle shots
    Not good for telephoto shots
    Not good for head & shoulders or head shot portraits.
    Depth of field not visible in viewfinder
    Filter effect not visible in viewfinder
    Hard to change film in the middle of a roll
    Multiple exposures are not possible (except with interrupted timed exposures)
    Lens is not interchangeable.
    Not available in telephoto version
    Possible to forget to remove lens cap
    No built-in light meter
    No provision for motor drive
    It is hard to read exposure settings when the camera is mounted on a tall tripod.
    Slow to operate
    Requires tripod for best results
    No built-in spirit level for vertical (portrait orientation) shots
    If you use the 690 to take photographs that include the sky, at f/5.6 you will definitely notice vignetting
    Super-imposed image rangefinder makes focusing difficult for me
    Focusing is difficult due to small size of rangefinder
    Lens and lens hood block one corner of the viewfinder
    No self-timer
    Shot counter influences shooter to shot conservatively
    Shutter release cable attaches to top but not front shutter release button
    Airport security usually wants to see what is inside this “over-sized” camera.

https://flic.kr/p/doX6jQ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pro Cameras 002_filtered b sml.jpg  

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin