Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,726   Online: 801

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I made the move to 120 film from 35mm, I started with a Yashica MAT 124 and I bought the wide and telephoto lenses from eBay... I was impressed with there sharpness...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Personally, if you've got the budget, I'd go Rolleiflex rather than Rolleicord, my brother has a Rolleicord, and if you don't like 'older' cameras, you're not going to like it, I don't think.

You're in the UK, take a look at http://www.ffordes.com/, no association with them other than being a happy customer a few times.

If you want small, some of the newer folding cameras might suit you, Zeiss Super Ikonta is not as old fashioned as it first looks. See what Fforddes can you in your budget, I expect a Hasselblad is completely possible:

http://www.ffordes.com/product/14073116125931

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I lug my RB around just fine. Yeah it's heavy, even heavier than the RZ. So what.

I use a mono pod instead of a tripod most of the time.

6x7is great.

I will say though that my first foray into MF was with a Holga and it gave me a real appreciation of 6x6. I could see adding a TLR to my stable and a good CLA could make one very reliable. I have resisted though because I can crop.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a RB67 Pro-S and enjoyed it immensely despite it's bulk and weight. I always wanted to try a Fuji GX680 III but never got around to it and if I ever buy another medium format SLR it'll probably be this one. I had a Horseman VH-R with 6x9cm RFHs that I really liked but I don't think the latter is what you're looking for because it's a big bulky rangefinder.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have one other question, since TLR's are older and the lenses are less complex (particularly the more entry-level ones) does that mean to say that their image quality won't be as good as SLRs?
    Lens found on TLR's and large format cameras focus infinity roughly their focal length from the lens plane. The simplest lens is a single element akin to a magnifying glass. Some basic lens highly sought after for their soft focus to be used for portraiture are triplets, 3 cells. Other common types are 4 and 5 cell designs. TLR lens are usually less than 100mm in focal length so it is not difficult to get them to focus from 3 feet to infinity in a compact package.
    Now take the SLR's such as Hasselblad, Mamiya, Bronica, and similar cameras. To get the lens to focus from 6 feet to infinity at the position the lens is from the film plane, extra elements have to be added to equal the TLR 4 and 5 element image quality. By refining the lens design and coatings a sharper lens can be made. Top brand cameras and lens usually are produced with tighter tolerances but some budget brands occasionally hit the precision mark and are good contenders also so the camera or lens in its current condition is more important than its badge.

The small end of Large Format in 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 commonly called 2x3 which is 57mm x 82mm called 6x9 cm. 2x3 press cameras are available from several manufacturers, can use a verity of lens, and can accept 6x6, 6x7, and 6x9 roll film backs. Many will have Graflok/international backs making switching between the ground glass and roll film holder easy. Many will have a rangefinder making point and shoot easy.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you buy an RZ67 then make sure you buy the L grip for it. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_RZ_for.html The L grip makes a world of difference. With the L grip, waist level finder and 110mm lens it's not bad. The prism finder is heavy. Adding additional lenses and backs to your kit makes the RZ real heavy. It's a great camera though and my favorite medium format camera for portraits.

Shooting 6x6 is real nice if you like square images. If you are going to crop to a rectangle though you may be better off buying a 645 camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The odds are that the first medium format setup you get will not be the last one. So don't sweat it too too much.

The Bronica ETR series can be a good entrance point. Pretty cheap, nice quality. When something breaks you buy another one- lens, body, back, etc. I know it's 6x45, though. U

There are two main problem areas in buying medium format gear- 1, the equipment was used by a pro week after week and is worn out, or 2, the gear has sat in a bag in a closet and the grease has dried out, etc.

Whatever you end up with, I recommend getting one lens only at first. The change from 35 to MF is going to be a big enough jump; no need to make a mess of it with three lens choices or such. See how MF fits with what you want and then invest more.
    Last edited by Dan Daniel; 08-15-2014 at 10:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been using the RZ67 Pro (not II) and I am very pleased with it. I would not be concerned with the weight of this camera. Granted, having higher Density and taking up more Volume, you must expect that Mass would be more. This quantity can also be referred to as the Goodness (G) of the camera. G=(M=DV). A camera with more Goodness (G) should have more gravitational force acting upon it. That would be expected. Now, consider an average person with a weight of 160 lbs.; If they were fully clothed and carried upon them a wallet/purse, an average size hat, a light meter, and a pack of Tic-Tacs, they may have a total weight of ~170 lbs. The RZ67 with prism, lens, 120 back might have a total weight of 7.6 lbs. Since they are already hauling 170 lbs. around everywhere they go, this additional weight of the camera is only 1/22nd of the total weight in this equation. I would definitely ignore the weight of the camera here, as it is not large enough to be significant. What is significant is the Goodness (G) that can be found with this camera. Running and shooting with a RZ67 would require a background working with equations involving acceleration, gravity, mass, density, etc. And I must admit that I'm not an expert in everything. Just some things.

6X4.5cm, 6x6cm/6x9cm, 6x7cm, 5x4, 4x5, Half-Plate, 5x7, Full-Plate, 8x10, 12x10

Shooter
    Medium Format
    mamiya rb67 pro s or the latest rb system, or a pentacon six tl,and we can be like brother's, only closer!spongeindex by a.rodriguezpix, on Flickr

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the replies, a TLR does seem like a good possibility then! One of the main reasons I wanted to get an RZ67 is the 6x7 format, I would be able to print nice big images from that for my course, but I doubt 6x6 would be much different and I don't mind square images. I'll have a look at everyone's suggestions. With what some people have said the RZ67 is still a possibility, I'd just have to buy a new camera backpack! That 500C from ffordes would be great, but unfortunately while it seems to be a good price I need to think of price of film etc.
    Last edited by James-EG; 08-16-2014 at 02:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    James

My 500px Profile --> http://500px.com/James_EG

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin