Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,852   Online: 848

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Importance of an instruction manual and flash sync. info.

First, older shutters have, in some cases, three flash synch. settings: F, M, X. If the shutter was set on F, it had a 5 millisecond delay so the Gas-filled bulbs could start burning 5 milliseconds before the leaf shutter was wide open. Set on M, there was a 20 millisecond delay and of course on X there was no delay for electronic flash. For focal plane shutter cameras, a third bulb was made with a 20 millisecond delay and a longer burning period. It had the letters FP in front of its nimber. As has been said earlier, tape the synch switch so it won't move from X unless you want to use flash bulbs for old times sake. As for the instruction book, better yet would be to make yourself a "check list" to take with you until you get it memorized. And, of course, it won't work either unless you use it. You have just heard from "the voice of experience" who made the same mistakes more than once.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    The old computer expression is RTFM (the polite version of which is Read The Full Manual).
    Read the friendly manual?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveO View Post
    I just got my 120 film back from NCPS and found only 2 of 23 exposures came out. It had been a long time since I used my Rolleiflex 3.5F and I had the lever on the top left turned to flashbulb ( 1/30 sec ) instead of the electronic setting for the speedlight that I was using. It makes me feel really dumb after spending $ 37 on developing and scanning to see the results. I have no idea why two of the pictures even came out. The other 21 are underexposed enough to not be fixed.
    It goes to show that it is good to read your instruction manual before shooting. I had a copy with me in my camera bag too.
    i wouldnt feel bad
    i know someone (seasoned pro, now of 40 years? ) who bought a graflex slr and insisted he
    read in the manual he could plug his 2 prong paramount cord onto the pc
    and he ran probably 5 rolls of 120 through it trying to determine the synch speed ...

he didnt find it ....
    Last edited by jnanian; 08-17-2014 at 08:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the answers. Even the humorous ones. I just need to use the Rolleiflex more often before they stop making a lot of the film for it. It's hard when you have a digital camera sitting there not doing anything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbultman View Post
    Can you explain this please? I don't understand how leaving them on any given setting my help prevent accidents. I always leave my various cameras and lenses on X with the rationale that I only have electronic flashes.

Thanks,
    Rob
    It is too easy to accidentally change the flash synch setting on the Mamiya TLR lenses.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It could be worse, you could have been shooting a wedding ! .
    I've had the M flash sync. on my Mamiya medium format lenses disabled because I never use flash bulbs and to avoid these accidents.
    Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I actually saw a large format lens where someone had glued a block in place to permanently jam the flash sync to X. And once I also saw a large screw had been inserted the same way to keep the flash sync on X. It wasn't pretty, but you couldn't mess up your flash that way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    It is too easy to accidentally change the flash synch setting on the Mamiya TLR lenses.
    Yes it is. I found that out last year.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nevermind, I see now that you said you were using an electronic speedlight. *le sigh* You might need to work on your manual reading, I need to work on my reading comprehension.

Question. I'm assuming you were shooting with flash? I ask because I've never heard of a camera firing differently (ie. single shutter) when set to "M" sync

Shooter
    Multi Format
    X flash sync is instantaneous M sync. has a 20 milliseconds shutter delay for flash bulbs.

Ben

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin