Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,595   Online: 1079

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

The importance of an instruction manual

I just got my 120 film back from NCPS and found only 2 of 23 exposures came out. It had been a long time since I used my Rolleiflex 3.5F and I had the lever on the top left turned to flashbulb ( 1/30 sec ) instead of the electronic setting for the speedlight that I was using. It makes me feel really dumb after spending $ 37 on developing and scanning to see the results. I have no idea why two of the pictures even came out. The other 21 are underexposed enough to not be fixed.
    It goes to show that it is good to read your instruction manual before shooting. I had a copy with me in my camera bag too.

Shooter
    35mm
    The old computer expression is RTFM (the polite version of which is Read The Full Manual).

Shooter
    Large Format
    We all make mistakes. The smart ones learn from mistakes. Gee, I hope I'm smart someday!

It sounds like you are one of the smart ones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It could be worse, you could have been shooting a wedding.
    I've had the M flash sync. on my Mamiya medium format lenses disabled because I never use flash bulbs and to avoid these sort of accidents.
    Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-17-2014 at 05:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    ...I've had the M flash sync...disabled...to avoid these sort of accidents.
    Can you explain this please? I don't understand how leaving them on any given setting my help prevent accidents. I always leave my various cameras and lenses on X with the rationale that I only have electronic flashes.

Thanks,
    Rob
    My flickr stream

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbultman View Post
    Can you explain this please? I don't understand how leaving them on any given setting my help prevent accidents. I always leave my various cameras and lenses on X with the rationale that I only have electronic flashes.

Thanks,
    Rob
    The time delay on the shutter opening and sync. with the flash firing is different for electronic flash and flash bulbs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_synchronization
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "When all else fails, read the instructions."

Shooter
    35mm

stray

I used Rolleiflexes and Yashicamats proferssionally since the 1960s. The "M" and "X" settings can be vexing. I currently own a Yashicamat that was owned by a large international news photo service and used in the 1960s. The cameras has several modifications that suit a professional. One of them is a small screw drilled in the front of the camera to prevent the lever from accidentally moving from "X" to "M." That lever can move when you are taking the camera out of the camera bag, or whatever, and it will ruin your day if you are using strobe -- which was virtually the only flash used by the wire service photogs at that time. Without that screw you just have to learn to be a tad bit paranoid about seeing the lever is in the right place when using strobe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have also read that some of the Yashica shutters will lock up if you try to use the self timer with the switch on M sync. I'm considering a drop of silicone adhesive on the lever of my 124G. (Though I use a self timer about as often as I use flash, bulbs or otherwise, so it probably doesn't matter much. )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    I have also read that some of the Yashica shutters will lock up if you try to use the self timer with the switch on M sync.
    Correct, it happened to my 124. it's so easily knocked ... my solution consists of duct-tape however

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin