Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,108   Online: 1017

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Camera+Hiking Backpack for RB67

I'd love to take my RB67 with me to the mountains but I don't want to carry two bags with me. Maybe you know the problem.
    I am looking for backpacks where I can put my camera on top (so I can easily get to it) and have other stuff on the bottom.

Other suggestions are also welcome?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    After backpacking repeadedily in the High Sierra for 10 days with a Pentax 67, couple of lenses, and a tripod, I have come to the following conclusions:

a) I must either get in better shape or drastically reduce the camera equipment weight.
    b) I have serriously considered using pack animals or hiring porters to carry the camera equipment.
    c) Anyway you rearrange the equipment, no matter what pack you use, it's the same weight and pain.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was more thinking of one day trips, rather than carriing a tent, kitchen, bed and a camera with me. ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think any back-pack with an aluminum frame support would suffice. I see them at thrift stores all the time. As long as there's room in the pack for cans of Van Camp's Beanie Weenies and tins of Kippered Herring, it should work.

On eBay they call them External Frame Packs, I believe.
    5x4, 4x5, Half-Plate, 5x7, 8x10, 6x9cm, 6x7cm, 6x6cm, 6X4.5cm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Isn't it a good rule of (packing for) backpacking that you put heavier items at the bottom?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was thinking just what DannL suggested. Look at external frame packs instead of internal frame ones. The internal frame packs end up being narrower and harder to get things in/out of.

Internal frame packs are more common these days, but a good outfitter store should have a fair selection of external frames. Kelty has several lines of external frame packs.

I'd definately recommend finding a local outfitter to go try the pack on. Take the camera with you and let the sales guy know what you intend to do. They are going to look at you like you have two heads for wanting to carry something that heavy, but should be more than willing to help.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DannL. View Post
    As long as there's room in the pack for cans of Van Camp's Beanie Weenies and tins of Kippered Herring, it should work.
    I absolutely agree. The Austrian in me always smiles when it comes to wiener würstchen, although I don't live in Vienna I like them too with some mustard and a nice cool glass of beer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're using for day trips only then I use a Tamrac Expedition 8x with my RB67 gear. They have the size 6x thru 9x depending upon your needs and physical ability to haul the weight.
    These are camera packs not general backpacks. If you're hauling outdoor gear then you're probably needing more of a backpack.
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suggest you take the gear you intend to carry to a camera store and try it in some backpacks and see if it is comfortable to carry.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Kata R-103. I haven't tried putting the RZ in it yet, but I suspect it should fit. There is also plenty of room for other things including a tripod mount on the outside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin