Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,515   Online: 844

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the same RC2 quick release with my RB67 and a couple of different Manfrotto medium duty ballheads. They work fine. You do need to be cautious in unusual situations like where you hold the camera sideways in order to clear an obstruction ahead of you - the camera has a lot of potential torque at those rare times when it is to the side of your trpod head, rather than on top of it. If the release is torqued, it can loosen.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I use the same RC2 quick release with my RB67 and a couple of different Manfrotto medium duty ballheads. They work fine. You do need to be cautious in unusual situations like where you hold the camera sideways in order to clear an obstruction ahead of you - the camera has a lot of potential torque at those rare times when it is to the side of your trpod head, rather than on top of it. If the release is torqued, it can loosen.
    As much as I try, I cannot picture what you are describing. Or maybe I can, but I don't understand the torque aspect. Do you mean the whole camera at a 90 degree angle on the tripod?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am personally Not A Fan of the manfrotto quick release system. It gets quite sloppy once it's worn a bit and the little plates don't have much area to grip the bottom of the camera. The Arca Swiss system is much better (tongue in groove, tightened with a screw); that doesn't mean you have to pay Arca prices though because compatible systems/bits are available from all over. I have Feisol stuff, and it holds the camera far more steadily and reliably than my manfrottos ever did. I use the 100mm plate on my RZ67 and the 40mm plate on my Toyo 45A.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like my Manfrotto 808rc-4. I will be getting one of these soon:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manfrotto-80...item35dabe6fc0
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LMNOP View Post
    As much as I try, I cannot picture what you are describing. Or maybe I can, but I don't understand the torque aspect. Do you mean the whole camera at a 90 degree angle on the tripod?
    I thought this might be a problem.

From time to time I find myself in a situation where I cannot place my tripod in a position where I am able to both frame my photograph properly and look straight down into the waist level finder.

Usually this is because I need to shoot either over some sort of obstruction like a railing or around something like a post. As an example, I have hanging over my desk right now a shot I took with my RB67 where I was on a wooden bridge and I pointed the camera straight down at a stream/rocks/waterfall directly below

The solution often involves essentially hanging the camera off of the rotated sideways tripod head, rather than positioning it on top of the vertically positioned tripod head - not necessarily a full 90 degrees from vertical, but certainly a fair amount away from vertical.

It is in those circumstances that rotation can happen unexpectedly.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    I am personally Not A Fan of the manfrotto quick release system. It gets quite sloppy once it's worn a bit and the little plates don't have much area to grip the bottom of the camera. The Arca Swiss system is much better (tongue in groove, tightened with a screw); that doesn't mean you have to pay Arca prices though because compatible systems/bits are available from all over. I have Feisol stuff, and it holds the camera far more steadily and reliably than my manfrottos ever did. I use the 100mm plate on my RZ67 and the 40mm plate on my Toyo 45A.
    Thanks for the heads up for this brand. I've been thinking of going to a ball head and looking at my options.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recently bought the Manfrotto MHXPRO-3W and like it very much. Locks down securely, the tension system works well, and so far no creep in locking down the handles. The collapsing handles are very nice, also, making the tripod much more compact. It's a well-made head.

I have been using a Markins ballhead, their smallest model, and it just didn't allow for precise positioning with a Horseman VH setup. To handle the Horseman would take a much larger ballhead, meaning much more expensive. For slow, precise framing, a 3-way can be better. Best as I have seen, you will get a better head with a 3-way over a ballhead for the cost of the MHXPRO-3W

Yes, the Arca-Swiss plate system is much better. I wish Manfrotto would finally give up its systems. Very annoying on their part since their heads would find a much larger market using Arca plates. I couldn't find a quality 3-way head that used the Arca plates.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin