Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,851   Online: 838

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

A little too quick for my own good

Just out for my morning stroll and stopped at a weekend flea market. Therein sat an Agfa Isoly that I took to be a 6X6 because of the size and square VF. Looked it over carefully, very clean inside and out including the 60mm f3.9 Apotar lens. Front element scale focus smooth and well damped. The little Prontor looked about right at all speeds.

Keen!, I thought, a leightweight 6X6 wide angle camera. Don't know why when I opened the back I didn't notice the film gate was a tad small for that size.
    Got it home, thought I'd load a roll and only then noticed the red window.

Internal monologue;

"Isn't that supposed to be in the middle of the back?"
    "Hey, is this a 4.5X6"
    Look at the film gate again, "Nope, it's square alright."
    "Wait a minute." Grab the ruler "One and five eights by one and five eights!" "Cripes! It's a lousy 4X4." Slaps forehead, feels real dumb.

PS; Nope, the film gate is not just an insert that snaps out. I already checked that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So the 60mm lens didn't give you pause for thought ?

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    So the 60mm lens didn't give you pause for thought ?
    To tell the truth I'd almost forgotten that there ever was 4X4 size. I've always associated it with 127 film and cameras like the baby Rollei and 4X4 Yashica TLR's. Come to think of it my very first camera was 4X4 if I remember right. It was a Kodak Brownie Bullet, a little brown camera made out of bakelite. Only now I remember that some cheap cameras using 120 film had the frame restricted to 4X4. That size was also for transparencies called "super slides" because they could fit in the same 2X2 holders as regular 35mm slides.

After 50 years of dinking around with all kinds of cameras it is amazing what one forgets.

Shooter
    35mm

a while

After a while it's amazing when one remembers much of anything.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ciniframe View Post
    Just out for my morning stroll and stopped at a weekend flea market. Therein sat an Agfa Isoly that I took to be a 6X6 because of the size and square VF. Looked it over carefully, very clean inside and out including the 60mm f3.9 Apotar lens. Front element scale focus smooth and well damped. The little Prontor looked about right at all speeds.

Keen!, I thought, a leightweight 6X6 wide angle camera. Don't know why when I opened the back I didn't notice the film gate was a tad small for that size.
    Got it home, thought I'd load a roll and only then noticed the red window.

Internal monologue;

"Isn't that supposed to be in the middle of the back?"
    "Hey, is this a 4.5X6"
    Look at the film gate again, "Nope, it's square alright."
    "Wait a minute." Grab the ruler "One and five eights by one and five eights!" "Cripes! It's a lousy 4X4." Slaps forehead, feels real dumb.

PS; Nope, the film gate is not just an insert that snaps out. I already checked that.
    eBay item number: 331114963533

RR

Shooter
    35mm
    So... wha'dya pay for it?
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    so buy some 127 film and shoot it. Freestyle has it in stock.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last edited by k.hendrik; 08-24-2014 at 04:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by trythis View Post
    So... wha'dya pay for it?
    Twenty dollars. I felt, considering condition and operation it was not an unreasonable amount, even with the reduced frame size.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    so buy some 127 film and shoot it. Freestyle has it in stock.

Sorry I was not quite clear. You see, it uses 120 roll film but with only a 4X4 frame with 16 exposures per roll. Not the only camera to do so. Fortunately I have plenty of 120 film stocked.

Oh yes, I do intend to shoot it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin