Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,572   Posts: 1,545,659   Online: 960

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

What's Up With the Yashica TLR Shutters?

I've been looking at Yashica TLRs on the auction site, and it's amazing how many of them have shutters that are not working. I thought about buying one w/ the idea of fixing it, but I wonder if that is a good idea. Is there some sort of built-in issue w/ these cameras?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep, activating the self timer when the flash sync is set to X buggers them. Easily fixed.

Or is it M come to think about it?

Can't remember - one of the two

Shooter
    35mm

Well

Well, I have two Yashicamats that are both over 50 years old and they work fine. The Yashicamat somehow got a poor reputation but can be awful sturdy cameras if not abused. I used one in the 1970s and sold color sides to magazines and newspapers all over the world. In those days a lot of foreign publications like in Australia, Japan and Germany, preferred the 120-sze slides over 35mm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Heard about the self-timer in M mode issue so I had to try it on my 124g and It still functions perfectly fine! Still looks like it got caught in a sandstorm then hit by a truck but it still works

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know if it's all Copal shutter or just the ones that Yashica used, but you are not supposed to use the self timer with the flash sync set on M. My first Yashica D had a block that was activated so you couldn't move the self timer if the sync was set on M, my second one an earlier D either didn't have it or had been broken. It didn't seem to mind if it was on M or X. I also once messed up a Prontor-S shutter by accidentally using the self timer with the shutter on M, after that the shutter would not fire but would hang up on M, worked fine on X though.
    Nikon F, Nikkor-S 35mm F=2.8
    Gossen Luna Pro F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    Yep, activating the self timer when the flash sync is set to X buggers them. Easily fixed.

Or is it M come to think about it?

Can't remember - one of the two
    It's 'M' what forks em up, they are supposed to be set to 'X' for self timer. I (and many others) super glue the selector switch to the X position so they don't get wonky.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the issue is that the M synch and the self timer use the same delay escapement so ur supposed to only use one or the other.

The bigger question of "why are so many bum yashicas for sale" is easy: Nobody is selling the ones that work because they -- duh -- still work.

Copal shutters are actually pretty good -- slightly looser tolerances than Compur, as I understand these things, so they don't gum up as easily.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    It's 'M' what forks em up, they are supposed to be set to 'X' for self timer. I (and many others) super glue the selector switch to the X position so they don't get wonky.
    Noooooooooo!!! Be nice to those poor old 'M' settings!

Or what will people like me do who still occasionally use "Medium peak" flashbulbs in a Graflite flashgun? I recently purchased an 80mm lens that was in just beautiful condition for my Mamiya C330S TLR. Recently CLAed, all shutter speeds were bang on. Beautiful sparkling glass. Excellent cosmetics. But was heartbroken to find the 'X' sync permanently epoxied into the geologic time scale.

Press 25 flashbulbs really do need those few extra milliseconds of patience. It's part of the definition of "slow photography".

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first yashica had its self timer completely disconnected and free swinging. I guess someone before me went in and really broke it trying to fix it. If your going to do the repair, you also need a new leather covering, as if you try and peel it, they will most likely crack on you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mine just had oily blade and requires a complete tear down and be made dry, the lighter fluid /naptha thing works for 3 0minutes, but after that gummy.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin