Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,234   Online: 730

Thread: fuji gs645s

Shooter
    Medium Format

fuji gs645s

My main camera is an RB67 and I take it with me just about everywhere I can. The few times/locations when I can't take it I have been bringing a couple of Nikon SLRs but lately I have been dissatisfied with the small negatives. Anyway since I have a trip coming up where I can't take the RB am going to sell some 35mm gear and I have purchased a Fuji GS645s which seems like a perfect portable camera for my situation. I am not super used to rangefinders so there will be a bit of a learning curve, especially because I am nearsighted in my right eye, which doesn't matter for SLRs but seems to matter a lot for RFs - might need to start left eye viewing. But just wondering if anyone has any tips for making the rangefinder patch a bit easier to see?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a fine camera, that you and I have. It's weakness is the original bellows material which disintegrates with age. If not already replaced, it should be.

Also, be gentle with your film advance winding. Another weakness.

Unless you are taking shots less than 10 to 15 feet, just use the distance scale on he lens to scale/zone/or hyper focus as appropriate.

Due to my eyesight, I focus with left eye.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Frank, I think we might have slightly different cameras - the gs645s that I have is not a folding camera. It has a 60mm lens with the weird protective bar around it. Thanks for the tip on the film winding though. When I use the camera for landscape or set up shots I have no problem but if I want to use it handheld for taking photos quickly then I probably will need to use the rangefinder, particularly if I'm at f4 or 5.6.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The GS645S hasn't got the sharpest brightest RF patch out there, unfortunately. But it is a nice camera to use.

Some people recommend putting a small square of black material on the main VF window to coincide with the patch, or to make a small dark square using a felt marker. This is supposed to increase contrast a bit and improve matters, but I've never found it worked for me. Some folk swear by it though.

The other option is to cover the whole front of the VF with a slip of contrasting filter gel - blue is good - to increase contrast. This does work for me, but because the GS645S meters through the VF and not through the lens, and I often use the meter, you has to mentally adjust for a "filter factor" ... so I don't do that any more and I live with the slight inadequacy of the RF patch.

Gosh that all sounds a counsel of despair .. but perhaps one of the above will work for you.

And the other thing that might help is changing the VF ring for a different diopter strength - you can use Nikon ones, it's the same thread.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    okay thanks - I don't imagine I'll be using the meter much although once I get more comfortable with the camera it might come in handy. The VF ring suggestion is a good one too!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find the meter in the 645s quite reliable, with the usual precautions against extreme into the light exposure adjustments. I don't trust my Mamiya 6 meter anything like as much.

The rangefinder contrast can be an issue. Don't be afraid to rotate the camera to get a good line to match. I wear glasses, and have no trouble with the VF (which is more than can be said for standard 35mm SLRs as I get older).
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I owned a GS645s for about 5 months before selling it recently (for the RZ67 accessory fund.) I don't miss the camera as a camera, but as a aesthetic object, I do. This camera has a great feel, look, and all the action is great, super fun to shoot. I was never blown away with the results, though a few key shots came from that guy, and I LOVED how easily concealed it was. I would own love a Bronica 645 Rangefinder someday, and if it was a low price, I'd do another GS645s for sure. The BIGGEST complaint I have is how dreadfully DULL the viewfinder focus was. I had a very very small square of black tape on the center, which helped, but it was still a bit of a challenge finding the focus. As grahamp said, the meter was great, gave me just what I needed. The overall look ended up being very specific in my eyes, but then again, it was all about how I used it I guess.

Here are some choice shots from my time with that camera.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/patrickjmccormack/12868197174/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/patric...k/13155271924/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/patric...k/13551507894/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks guys. I may try putting a small square over the rangefinder spot to see if that helps. ran a test roll of Tri-X through it today and that is drying right now so I'll have a closer look at it tomorrow. After a cursory inspection it seems like all is working, and the shots where I relied on the metering seem to have been exposed well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A GA645 might have done you better.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin