Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,849   Online: 712

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kyocera and Contax Update

Well its official kyocera will be ending production of ALL Contax brand cameras.

Here's the link.
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...x?NewsId=12838
    What!? Behind the rabbit?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I looked at their stand at Focus on Imaging (UK Trade show) on the 2nd and this had been released:
    http://db.riskwaters.com/public/show...ml?page=210204

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Doesn't Kyocera have interests in Minolta also? Wonder what is going to happen with them?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Walter Lyon
    Doesn't Kyocera have interests in Minolta also? Wonder what is going to happen with them?
    No Kyocera is not involved in Minolta, Konica Minolta merged last year to become one company, which was the savior of Minolta as there were brankrupt and heading into the dust.

Kyocera has done this type of action with several different types of product lines in the past, they purcahsed a couple of high end amplifier companies several years ago and produced high end audio components and then when the market changed to the compacts and all-in-one audio systems with surround sound, they ceased production and moved on, so this really does not surprise me in the least.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for clarifying that...I am geting my "K"'s mixed up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just for further clarification, the brand Contax isn't owned by Kyocera. They licence the name from Carl Zeiss... so Contax as we know it now may cease to exist, but my gut tells me this isn't the end of the Contax brand.

I see maybe a renaming of the new Zeiss Ikon M rangfinder to say maybe the Zeiss Ikon Contax IVa with both a film and (digital ) version available with Cosina building the bodies and Zeiss supplying the lenses. That is just speculation and wishful thinking but I could see it happening, especially since they already brought back the Zeiss Ikon name.
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fingel
    ... my gut tells me this isn't the end of the Contax brand.
    I see maybe a renaming of the new Zeiss Ikon M rangfinder to say maybe the Zeiss Ikon Contax IVa with both a film and (digital ) version available with Cosina building the bodies and Zeiss supplying the lenses. That is just speculation and wishful thinking but I could see it happening, especially since they already brought back the Zeiss Ikon name.
    Yep, I think you are onto something. The whole ZI Rangefinder launch has a rat-like aroma to it, methinks. Even the Luddite Almalgamated Photographic Industries Corp. itself would not launch a "film-only" camera at this late date. Good news is - if there are new lenses being designed for the system, and they are in the normal focal length range for 35mm film, then maybe the digital version will have a 24x36mm sensor and will have great image quality! Woo-hoo... we can dream can't we....

JK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back in January, Kyocera announced ToCad (Sunpak etc.) would be the distributor of Contax products. But that was January.

http://www.sunpak.com/news.html

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin