Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,576   Online: 872

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Graflex Century Graphic

I've just landed a Graflex Century Graphic with a roll film back. It's in excellent condition except the bellows are bit worn and have been repaired in the past. They're light-tight at the moment though. Antybody out there got any experience/tips with using the camera? In particular, is there any way I can protect the bellows from further deterioration as I reckon that to replace them would cost more then the camera is worth (I payed £80 for it on ebay!).

Rob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Archer
    They're light-tight at the moment though. Antybody out there got any experience/tips with using the camera? In particular, is there any way I can protect the bellows from further deterioration as I reckon that to replace them would cost more then the camera is worth (I payed £80 for it on ebay!).

Rob
    That is if you could find a set of replacment bellows! not a real common thing these days, get yourself some Bogen(manfrotto) cloth gaffers tape and carefully tape all of the stress points on the bellows and they will last for years to come.

I almost always tape my bellows even on my new cameras, and have never had a problem.

Dave Parker

Shooter
    Large Format
    Brush On Electrical Tape fixed the numerous holes in the bellows of my Century Graphic. The corners seem to be prone to holes more so than my Crown Graphic from same time period (size of bellows?). Anyway, once repaired it has become the camera I most often carry. The rollfilm back along with rangefinder makes it a convenient point 'n shoot camera. The 2X3 negs from sheet film provide ample info for enlarging to at least 11X14. A very useful camera.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To update, I got a quote for replacement bellows via camerabellows.com who quoted me a reasonable £80 + VAT. However. a work colleague suggested trying rubber solution (the sort that comes in cycle punture repair kits mixed with 'lamp black' (whatever that is!). I tried micing it with some 'Photo Opaque' which was in the bottom of a box of photoraphic bits I'd been given years ago - it seems to work fine! Cost = 0!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin