Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,555   Posts: 1,599,225   Online: 1207
      
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45
  1. #1
    Dan Quan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    532

    I NEED a new drug...

    Opps! I mean camera.

    I REALLY REALLY REALLY miss having an MF'r around and I was going to get another Rollei SL66. Now I'm thinking about trying a Pentax 6x7 MLU ( Mirror Lock-Up) because square always bugged me, I guess I'm more comfortable with rectangular framing. And I would like to experiment again with odd lenses and optics that are not necessarily OEM, like binos and ancient glass.

    So, I'm thinking of a rectangular image camera body that:
    1) has a built in shutter (of course) including T or B or both.
    2) sync's with flash
    3) is easy to repair or replace (which the SL66 wasn't)
    4) has as minimal a flange distance as possible
    5) takes a pola back (preferred but not exclusionary)
    edit to add:
    6) is an SLR or has TTL viewing so I can see what these freakish lenses are doing.

    I really would appreciate any and all input and help with this decision. Thanks.
    Last edited by Dan Quan; 09-24-2014 at 06:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DanQuan.com
    stand in the place where you are

  2. #2
    TheFlyingCamera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Washington DC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    8,591
    Blog Entries
    51
    Images
    439
    Aside from the built-in shutter, the RB67 is the perfect camera for what you want. But I'd bet the built-in shutter, especially if you want to use the camera with odd lenses, is kind of a deal-breaker.

    You could get a Baby Speed Graphic, and just use a 6x7 roll back on it, or a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Speed Graphic and use a roll film back on it. That wouldn't get you Polaroid capability, but you said that's also a nice-to-have, not a requirement. Flange distance is NOT an issue with these.

    If you can put up with square, there's always an ARAX/Hartblei overhauled Kiev 88. They're certainly cheap enough if you want something to play with. I think there was an FSU medium format SLR that shot 6x7 but I could be wrong and they were all 6x6.

  3. #3
    Dan Quan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Aside from the built-in shutter, the RB67 is the perfect camera for what you want. But I'd bet the built-in shutter, especially if you want to use the camera with odd lenses, is kind of a deal-breaker.

    You could get a Baby Speed Graphic, and just use a 6x7 roll back on it, or a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Speed Graphic and use a roll film back on it. That wouldn't get you Polaroid capability, but you said that's also a nice-to-have, not a requirement. Flange distance is NOT an issue with these.

    If you can put up with square, there's always an ARAX/Hartblei overhauled Kiev 88. They're certainly cheap enough if you want something to play with. I think there was an FSU medium format SLR that shot 6x7 but I could be wrong and they were all 6x6.
    hmm...

    Good info, i've never heard of the ARAX/Hartblei, I will check that out.

    I guess I also want a TLR.
    DanQuan.com
    stand in the place where you are

  4. #4
    TheFlyingCamera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Washington DC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    8,591
    Blog Entries
    51
    Images
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Quan View Post
    hmm...

    Good info, i've never heard of the ARAX/Hartblei, I will check that out.

    I guess I also want a TLR.
    Look for them on Ebay - search for Kiev 88, and then look for ones that say "rebuilt/overhauled by ARAX" or "Hartblei". Both vendors take Kiev 88s and do full body-off-frame overhauls and turn them into reliable cameras. And then you get all that wonderful, cheap Russian glass to play with.

    For a TLR, you can't go wrong with a Rolleiflex. Most other TLRs are cheaper, but few are even equals when it comes to image quality, let alone the total package of ergonomics, image quality, and reliability.

  5. #5
    Dan Quan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Look for them on Ebay - search for Kiev 88, and then look for ones that say "rebuilt/overhauled by ARAX" or "Hartblei". Both vendors take Kiev 88s and do full body-off-frame overhauls and turn them into reliable cameras. And then you get all that wonderful, cheap Russian glass to play with.

    For a TLR, you can't go wrong with a Rolleiflex. Most other TLRs are cheaper, but few are even equals when it comes to image quality, let alone the total package of ergonomics, image quality, and reliability.
    I gave up drinking last year and now have no excuse for thinking Through The Lens viewing or SLR and posting TLR. Sorry.
    Last edited by Dan Quan; 09-24-2014 at 06:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DanQuan.com
    stand in the place where you are

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    California desert
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,042

    My...

    I used a Rolleiflex professionally in the 1960s and a Yashicamat professionally in the 1970s. I often blow the b&w negs from both up to very large and you can't tell the difference. Both are capable of superb large prints. I still have one of the former and two of the latter.

  7. #7
    frank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Bit north of Toronto
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,034
    Images
    2
    It's square, but the old Bronica SLR's fit the rest of your needs/wants.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

  8. #8
    Dan Quan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    I used a Rolleiflex professionally in the 1960s and a Yashicamat professionally in the 1970s. I often blow the b&w negs from both up to very large and you can't tell the difference. Both are capable of superb large prints. I still have one of the former and two of the latter.
    I love the smell of fix in the morning! Well any time of day actually, but I'm old and totally dry now. I will likely be shooting Ektar 100 and having it commercially souped. Also, I have a friend with a nice 120/135 scanner I will use.


    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    It's square, but the old Bronica SLR's fit the rest of your needs/wants.
    I keep looking at the cool square cameras but I'm almost sold on the Pentax 6x7. Almost, very nearly I think.
    DanQuan.com
    stand in the place where you are

  9. #9
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,122
    Images
    60
    A Mamiya 645?
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  10. #10
    Dan Quan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    A Mamiya 645?
    Interesting suggestion. Some of these are inexpensive enough I may be able to eventually try a few of these different suggestions.
    DanQuan.com
    stand in the place where you are

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin