Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,614   Posts: 1,647,665   Online: 934

Shooter
    Medium Format

back jiggle on Hasselblad 500cm

I received a Hasselbald 500cm from KEH a few weeks ago with a jiggly back. I thought it was odd, but didn't think much of it unitl I borrowed a friends 500cm.

My back does NOT jiggle on his body, and his backs DO jiggle on my body.

What are the pieces on the body that hold the back called? How can I replace / tighten them? His body looks to have a plate with screws on the bottom that holds the mounting bracket on while mine has two individual pieces that appear to be held on with rivets / plugs.

Thanks for the help!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Send it back. Make sure they know what you described re: friend's body and back.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The angled mounts at the bottom of the camera body may be bent downward. It happens very frequently.
    Send it back for repair & a technician will reform(bend) them.

Of course you could DIY but "reforming" them costs more than bending.
    Expletive Deleted!

Shooter
    35mm
    As backgound, I am no Hasselblad technician, but I'm headed that way. I can say this: back jiggling isn't "normal", but it IS common. The adjustment for this is actually in the back. But that doesn't mean it's the place to start at this juncture. The body, of course, needs to be right first. And who is to say that your friend's body is the correctly adjusted one of the 2? For this determination, read the tell-tale signs of chewing up of screw slots or other signs of body disassembly. Let's take your friend's body. If someone had disassembled his, and reassembled with the chassis slightly countersunk in its shell, then all backs will seem to fit tightly, because the back shell and the body shell are in contact before the light trap surfaces mate. On the other hand, YOUR body may never have been tampered or disassembled, and the surface of the chassis back panel my be perfectly flush with the shell, as it should be. This points to possible maladjustment of the back, not the body. These are but several possible scenarios. These problems have to be tracked down and corrected in due order. In the worst case, you could leave t alone, as long as it's not causing leakage around the light trap ridges, as there are probably more loose backs out there than not.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Nice explanation, APUGuser19! Thanks for posting.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    just checked;mybacks (4)wiggle slightly on all my bodies(3)but still work perfectly.Don't fix it if it ain't broke.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    If there is any bending of the lower mounts, you will know it by the mating of the upper hooks. Observe it from the side as to slowly latch on a back. If the upper hooks are not going into the slot in the back dead center, they will hit on the face of the back. I can't particularly agree with the lower mounts bent, as a cause. I've seen it, and have had to bend on the lower brackets to get the upper hooks to center in the slot, because the camera and back I dealt with did indeed hit the hooks on the face of the back. I don't see it as a cause of your problem, unless the lower brackets had received considerable shock from a drop, with the result of a sloppy home-bending. All in all, the OP's complaint is typical, but not of much real concern, unless the back just is so sloppy loose it slides all over the place. That is rare.
    Last edited by APUGuser19; 09-27-2014 at 10:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    just checked;mybacks (4)wiggle slightly on all my bodies(3)but still work perfectly.Don't fix it if it ain't broke.
    Mine too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My brand new ELM had the jiggle right out of the box. No optical effect noted..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Mine do too, just a little bit from side to side.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin