Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 711

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Help needed, Hasselblad 50mm cf fle VERY soft corners

Hi folks, looking for some help re this lens I just bought second hand. I've ran a couple of test rolls through this and I'm less than impressed with the performance. I've never used one of these before but I'm led to believe they are supposed to be better than CF lenses.

When set to infinity on the barrel, it is not focused on the ground glass. It seems to stop just short of infinity going by the viewfinder.

I also set up test objects at 2m, 1m and the barrel scale markings were showing it focused at 15m & 8 metres respectively. That too me suggests the lens is wildly out.

The image attached is focused at infinity and the FLE set to infinity. The resulting image shows the results, which I think are horrendous.

Can anyone shed any light on this. Is it a dodgy lens?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img497.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	95898

Shooter
    35mm
    Send it back. Somebody has worked on it and either replaced an element or reversed one. I wouldn't waste a second on getting rid of it. Bad news.

Shooter
    35mm

don't know

I don't know what your problem is but from the scan (I blew it up on my computer screen) it looks to me you have camera movement. You might have more than one problem with the camera/lens. Good luck.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i have no experience with that camera or lens but that does look almost identical to the results I got with a Nikkor 28mm F2.0 which I bought and promptly returned to the seller. Maybe it is something that can go wrong on a floating element lens? Or perhaps someone messed with it and put an element in backwards? Almost looks like a Holga!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    by the way there's no camera movement in that picture - it is fine in the centre. but terrible in the corners. definitely should be returned ASAP.

Shooter
    35mm
    Send it back absolutely. If someone is so inept as to have reversed an element, goodness knows what other problem there is. Somebody could have built it from parts lenses or taken an element from a lens with another formula and model--god knows what. That lens is without question bad news.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used the 50/4 CF FLE quite a bit at all sorts of settings (including infinity, obviously). It is very, very sharp out to the edges even on 16x20 prints.

Your results do indicate something is amiss.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That looks like astigmatism, either native (sometimes with very old lenses, but not Hasselblad!) or a product of interference e.g. disassembly of the lens and imprecise re-assembly. This is definitely not the performance anybody would expect from a Hasseblad lens — any Hasselblad lens. In this case, there is a fault that perhaps was not disclosed to you by the seller, or the seller was not aware of it. Whatever the case, you have grounds for returning it and, preferably, getting your money back.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sb1202 View Post
    Hi folks, looking for some help re this lens I just bought second hand. I've ran a couple of test rolls through this and I'm less than impressed with the performance. I've never used one of these before but I'm led to believe they are supposed to be better than CF lenses.

When set to infinity on the barrel, it is not focused on the ground glass. It seems to stop just short of infinity going by the viewfinder.

I also set up test objects at 2m, 1m and the barrel scale markings were showing it focused at 15m & 8 metres respectively. That too me suggests the lens is wildly out.

The image attached is focused at infinity and the FLE set to infinity. The resulting image shows the results, which I think are horrendous.

Can anyone shed any light on this. Is it a dodgy lens?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img497.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	95898
    I have two of these lenses and never seen a result this bad. Are you sure yourfilm magazine is OK and not buckling the film?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    I don't know what your problem is but from the scan (I blew it up on my computer screen) it looks to me you have camera movement. You might have more than one problem with the camera/lens. Good luck.
    Definitely not movement. It was tripod mounted and I shot 2 rolls. The centre is sharp in all photos. The edges are as bad as this in the rest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin