Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,204   Posts: 1,659,246   Online: 892

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ebay listings mainly from Japan for RB's.

From time to time I check what is out there for Mamiya RB's on ebay and lately it seems 95% of them are from Japan. Using the time ending mode, today there was one from Korea and another from Sweden, the rest that are there are from Japan. I'm wondering why that is? It used to be that most RB's were from the US. Aren't people in the US selling their cameras? Even if the prices look about right, the shipping can add a considerable amount. Got any ideas as to why this is or is this just when I look at ebay and other times it isn't so? Thanks. Ric.
    PS. I assume this is probably true of others, I just haven't looked at Hassy' and other MF's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know but the same is true for Toyo view cameras. Lately there's been tons of them dropped on the market all at the same time... all in Japan. This selling strategy completely devastates selling prices. When this happens it quickly becomes a buyer's market for those items.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One seller on eBay used to have the following in his adds-- "Japan, where the streets are paved with Mamiyas."
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it's the Japanese stores who've discovered ebay selling is profitable than perhaps just to someone like JCH.
    I dont about prices deflating, but film gear prices seem to have stabilised - the *good ones*, I mean. And given the sales/bidding seen there, looks like quite a few interested parties.

Sent from Tap-a-talk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I lived in Japan from 2010 to 2013. During that time I used to visit about 5 camera shops on a regular basis. They would have their windows lined with RBs and all kinds of other cameras. Towards the end of my time there some of these places closed and I started to notice some of their merchandise ending up in places like Bic and Yobadashi ? camera stores. I would assume alot of the stuff is now ending up on ebay so they can sell it all. I just ordered a polaroid back for my RZ from one of those Japanese sellers of all the Mamiya stuff and it arrived in perfect condition about a week later. It came faster than Adorama is sending the Fujifilm that I ordered at the same time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I ordered a 120 back, which came amazingly fast, and in great shape. Meanwhile, a lot closer to home, Adorama advertised a 120 back but didn't actually have it (seems to be a regular thing) and offered a lesser quality. Of course (after paying $32 for parking) I take the item. Turns out the seals in the back turned to like a tar substance which got all over everything. Adorama is now not being realistic with rating the used items.. caveat emptor.
    Robert Brandoff

"Fauxtographer with a faux sale of a Fauxtoshopped fauxny image."

My man, Drew.

www.digitalandfilm.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a need most recently for a possible on the shelf collecting dust "new" RB67 Prism with light meter. I looked at KEH and did not see anything at the time. I followed up with emails to MAC and a big Mamiya seller in Honk Kong, for which all my emails went totally unanswered. At the time while awaiting answers I was watching eBay for those units and noticed the sales mostly from Japan that were being bought up quickly. I finally caught an "Excellent ++" rated one and it looked good. Although not new I bought it.

It arrived recently after a week shipping and is truly like new......
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yup, my experience is quite similar on the quality of cameras/equipment on offer.
    The RB I got looked almost new! I also ordered other stuff and most were in very good nick! (and shipping is fast!)

Sent from Tap-a-talk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    I think it's the Japanese stores who've discovered ebay selling is profitable than perhaps just to someone like JCH.
    I dont about prices deflating, but film gear prices seem to have stabilised - the *good ones*, I mean. And given the sales/bidding seen there, looks like quite a few interested parties.

Sent from Tap-a-talk
    exactly. i've been following prices for used horseman gear on ebay and in japanese brick'n'mortar stores and I would agree that prices are so depressed on the domestic market that it is much more attractive for dealers to sell to the international audience through ebay.

Gesendet von meinem MB526 mit Tapatalk 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Most of the Pentax 6x7 gear on ebay (at least in the UK) is listed as from Japan. Import duty & VAT are likely to add a substantial cost in the UK for anything but small accessories.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin