Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,053   Online: 885

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Medium format camera bag?

I am new to medium format photography and am looking for advice on getting a good medium format camera case for use in the field. I normally use Lowepro bags for my 35mm camera outfit and am partial to Lowepro. However, I have been reading some good reviews on Kata and Tamrac. I am open to any suggestions.

Here is what I need to fit into my medium format bag: Fuji GSW690III, Mamiya 6 with 50mm, 75mm, 150mm lenses, Sekonic meter, Lee filters & filter holder, and, of course, plenty of film.

Advice will be appreciated!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a Lowepro Omni Pro that I have used for a number of years; in fact, I getting ready to buy another one since my old one is showing it's age. I use it to carry a Field Camera, 3 LF lenses, a 35mm camera (with lens), three boxes of QuickLoads, Light Meter and 20 rolls of 35mm film. All of this on an airplane - it will fit under an airliners seat. I can either carry it as a shoulder bag, or wear it as a backpack (which is what I do when traveling). It isn't a cheap bag though. I priced it locally (Honolulu) at $330, but is probably much cheaper by mail order.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use "tool" bags for medium format. I got mine at duluth trading post. I think that they're called "the master" series. They are very rugged, and inexpensive. They will have lots of little pockets that you probably don't need, and if you want a foam insert you'll have to make it. That's not hard, though. I think mine was $20.

-Peter
    www.desmidt.net

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    What it comes down to for me alot of times is whether I want to grab out of the bag and shoot fast, or can take off a backpack and take my time. I don't particularly like large shoulder bags with everything in it, so I try and use something small for a body with attached lens and use a lens case on a belt. I have also used a larger waist pouch as a bag for the lenses. I usually pickup used bags as they are usually so cheap and I can see how much room there is and figure out a configuration. You can also get Domke inserts for a standard backpack that work very nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lowepro bags are generally excellent. In years past, I used Magnum bags for 35mm and 4x5 field camera equipment. I think it's still available. If it is, it holds a lot of equipment and provides excellent protection. They were kind of expensive when I used them back in the 80's and probably cost a lot more now.

Currently, I'm using an F64 for my Pentax 645 outfit and an unbranded generic nylon bag for my Mamiya C330 outfit.

I don't know the model of the F64 bag--I've had it for several years. It has detachable end pockets and it's heavily padded. It easily holds a Pentax 645 with 75mm lens, 35/3.5, 45/2.8 and 150/3.5 with numerous filters, lots of film and stuff.

The other bag is so old the brand tag has fallen off. It was cheap, cheap, cheap but it's held up well for many years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rrobinson54
    medium format bag: Fuji GSW690III, Mamiya 6 with 50mm, 75mm, 150mm lenses, Sekonic meter, Lee filters & filter holder, and, of course, plenty of film.
    You'd better get a 100Ltrs. duffle bag. It will also fit a few tripods extra

G

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've just ordered one of those new Tamrac Expedition 5 backpacks. It will arrive during the next days so I can't share any experiences butw from what I have seen so far it looks really fine.
    Well, I tried some of the lowepro backpacks at last years Photokina in Cologne ... they are nice indeed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a Domke ("The Orginal" $99 @ Calumet). Its black canvas and it doesn't look like a camara bag, which I like when I travel. I hate looking like a tourist. They even have a navy bag with tan trim that really makes it look like a small travel duffle.

Its large enough that I can carry 2 35mm bodies, one with a lens, 2 more lenses, my vivitar flash, batteries, plenty of film and extra space for keys and stuff... Or, I can make a small adjustment and have enough room for my Mamiya TLR, flash, light meter and probably enough room for 2 more lenes and all the other stuff.

They even have a larger version ($134 @ Calumet), which I am sure would be overkill for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have been quite happy with my Lowepro Nature Trekker AW. I have had it for about three years and it has held up quite well. It is large enough to hold my entire Hasselblad system (body, WLF, two backs, three lenses with hoods not attached, PM90 prism, filters, Sekonic light meter, Vivitar 285HV and two extension tubes). I also bought the daypack for it, which attaches nicely to the front of the bag for extra clothing and snacks.

I have used this for medium distance hikes (8 to 12 miles) and it has been very comfortable. It also does not have that "camera bag look" and it is small enough to take on a plane as carry on luggage.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a lowe pro mini trekker aw which I'm really pleased with. I had doubts as to whether it would be big enough but it holds my RB67 with 90mm attached, extra back, 180mm, 2 lee filters + hood, 6 screw on filters, pentax spotmeter with room to spare. I really like the tripod carrying feature and the light weight.

Lowe bags are good but the larger ones as stupidly priced, I refuse to pay over £70 for a camera bag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin