Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,009   Online: 868

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A good but simple light meter - suggestions?

Hi everyone! I have just obtained a Mamiya 330f (what a beauty!) and I also have an old Graflex 22 (that my son has taken an interest in) as well as a few very old 35mm's that I like to shoot with.
    So, I'm looking for a good but simple and cheap ambient light meter that I can I use with my old cameras and I'd like to teach my 8 yr. old son to use it too. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Gossen Luna Pro Digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm... I was thinking that maybe an analog one would be easier for the kiddo to deal with.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For my general light meter needs (mainly in the studio) I use a Polaris. Got it cheap on eBay and has performed will metering for my Mamiya RB67.

Good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can add recommendation for the Polaris, plus it can be made into a semi-spot with a $50 attachment. That said there is nothing as simple or cheap as a good old gossen luna pilot. No batteries, no fuss just point it and take a reading..and it should be found under$50 - though I haven't priced one in years. It was the first meter I owned, still have it and it is nice and small.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike, that sounds like just what I need - thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Gossen Scout II is also a light, cheap with no batteries light meter. I paid $40.00 for mine years ago. And it still works fine (as a back up to my Luna Pro F).
    You might be able to find a Scout used on ebay.
    Good luck.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll second the prior motions on the Gossen stuff.

I picked up a Lunasix last summer (less than $30.00 on ebay). Its my first light meter, so I wanted to keep it simple. I love the thing!
    I had never used one nor seen one used and it didn't come with directions.

So, what did I do? I asked someone here and quickly got some great tips and a website referral.That website had the entire instruction manual posted. Bingo and Parchese, I was in business...

I wish I had been introduced to decent cameras when I was younger, instead of cranking out terribly exposed vignetted instamatic junk.

Good luck and remember to have lots of fun teaching and shooting with your son.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would avoid the meters without batteries. I have a Gossen Scout 3 and it is not at all accurate or consistent except in full daylight. Don't saddle him with a meter that doesn't meter well. I am in favor of no batteries, but not at the expense of accuracy.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Gossen Sixtomat selenium meter that was old when I got it, with a camera purchase, not quite 35 years ago. It's still easily within 1/2 stop, and will meter well in light conditions down about f/2.8 @ 1/30 on EI 400 (though, being older, it doesn't have EI settings higher than 400 -- not a huge handicap, since it's easy to set it one or two stops lower than the film speed and compensate, if necessary). Yes, a silicon blue cell will meter in lower light, probably 4-5 stops lower. No, I don't often shoot in light like that, and when I do, I can usually make do with an exposure guide (the CdS meter in my Spottie doesn't go more than a stop or so dimmer than the Sixtomat anyway).

These days, if you can find one, a Sixtomat shouldn't set you back as much as $20. If it works at all, it should be accurate. It also has an incident cover, BTW.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin