Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,857   Online: 835

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

135 format to medium format.

Hi all - been thinking about this for some yrs, got a job, done some extra savings to my past should hope to reach surplus next yr. Looking at a more systems camera like the Hasselblad 500. I do mostly landscapes / cityscapes even on travel with a tripod etc.

Is a Gitzo traveler tripod ok, I know that a Pentax 67 would have a lot of mirror slap on such a light tripod. What about the Hasselblad?

The other question is. Right now I am still using a rather old Nikon 18-35mm non G AF-D lens on my Nikon film camera. Should I update that the newer 16-35mm or even a 14-24mm - how would a Hasselblad compare with that? The Hasselblad lens would be a C T* lens. Not the more expensive CFE or what ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Which focal length do you prefer for your landscapes in 35mm?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
    Which focal length do you prefer for your landscapes in 35mm?
    I forget the Haselblad lenses now. But the 3 was a 80mm standard, might have been a 50 or 40mm for the wide and maybe a 150mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just as a suggestion. Your tripod would work wonderfully with a Fuji GA645i or the Fuji GF670. Both wonderful cameras with terrific lenses.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rayonline_nz View Post
    Is a Gitzo traveler tripod ok, I know that a Pentax 67 would have a lot of mirror slap on such a light tripod. What about the Hasselblad?
    There is no Hasselblad mirror slap except in the minds of range finger folks and we know that they are all deranged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkKcbyh2CrA

The mirror movement is damped out to prevent mirror slap. It did not take Hasselblad fifty years to figure that out.
    Last edited by Sirius Glass; 12-16-2014 at 05:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Coming to APUG for analog camera advice is harmful to your economic well being. Soon you will move to 4"x5", then LF and finally to ULF. You poor soul.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rayonline_nz View Post
    Hi all - been thinking about this for some yrs, got a job, done some extra savings to my past should hope to reach surplus next yr. Looking at a more systems camera like the Hasselblad 500. I do mostly landscapes / cityscapes even on travel with a tripod etc.

The other question is. Right now I am still using a rather old Nikon 18-35mm non G AF-D lens on my Nikon film camera. Should I update that the newer 16-35mm or even a 14-24mm - how would a Hasselblad compare with that? The Hasselblad lens would be a C T* lens. Not the more expensive CFE or what ...
    I don't know about all Hasselblads, but with the 500C you can open the focal plane shutter and just use the diaphram shutter for exposure, hence no mirror slap.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You may want to research the medium format world a bit more before you jump into it. It's completely different to 35mm, there are several formats (6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x8, 6x9, 6x12 & 6x17) and different camera types (Folder, Rangefinder, SLR etc.) each with their own strengths & weaknesses. Hasslebalds are very expensive if you want to build a system.

As for the lenses, most medium format lenses are primes (zooms are big, heavy & slow), compared to 35mm there are no 'rubbish' lenses and very few 'average' ones - most are good, very good or excellent (they were ALL designed for professional use). There are few independent lenses (those that exist are generally more expensive than the manufacturers own options). Measured by LPMM a very good 35mm lens might out resolve a medium format one, but for results on film, medium format will blow any 35mm lens out of water (the increase in film area sees to that). It's not even the resolution that matters, the tonal graduation is infinitely smoother than 35mm and this alone makes a huge difference.

You're entire technique may have to change (fewer & more expensive shots tend to influence more thought/time going into each shot). It's not just the mirror slap but the extra mass of a medium format camera & lens combination can challenge some tripods. Most medium format SLRs have some form of mirror lock-up, so mirror slap can be zero. The 'Pentax 6x7' came in two versions, the early ones without mirror lock-up, the later (generally identified as 'MLU') have it. The later Pentax '67' also has mirror lock-up as standard - but I shoot mine handheld.

I'd encourage you to get into medium format, but make sure you know what you want before spending $$$$ on some gear.

John.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I don't know about all Hasselblads, but with the 500C you can open the focal plane shutter and just use the diaphram shutter for exposure, hence no mirror slap.
    Uhh, 'scuse me??
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    That make no sense. However one can lock up the mirror on a Hasselblad to eliminate the nonexistent mirror slap.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin