Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,958   Online: 787

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jump, don't sit on the fence you won't regret it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=PRB]
    Now I have a chance to buy a nice Linhof Technika IV ... But I hesitate.
    /QUOTE]

And a good thing you hesitate. That camera is an Industrial Strengh
    bit of Heavy Equipment; a Gilded Reinforced Crown Grafix. If you've
    a strong wrist AND arm and like to range find your subject while
    on the march, buy it. Dan

Shooter
    127 Format
    Given the second hand prices these days, it makes total sense to try out the larger format. But it makes just as much sense to hang on to all the old kit as well...

Thats what you wanted to hear wasn't it :-)

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I love my Tech V. If you get a Tech IV, it is very desirable if you have cammed lenses so that you can use the rangefinder. I use the rangefinder to shoot handheld press-camera style, and for portraits to check focus on the fly, and occasionally even with landscapes in low light, where it might be hard to interpret the groundglass.

Marflex will still grind cams for the Tech IV for about $200 a lens, but you have to send the whole camera to them, because unlike the Tech V and Master Tech, it does not have a zeroed groundglass. While this sounds like a real inconvenience, it isn't really, because they recommend that you send the camera in even if you have a Tech V or MT to check the groundglass calibration and set your infinity stops and focus scale accurately.

If it doesn't have cammed lenses, and you don't plan to use the rangefinder, Wayne makes a fair point. The Technika in general is a pleasure to work with, with all it's solid geared movements, but there are other excellent cameras that are easier to use for a comparable or lower price.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PRB
    But I hesitate. My MF negatives and prints seem pretty good in sizes up to 14x16. I have heard all the arguments for moving to 4x5. Why should I stay with MF? Can you talk me out of this move? I am a landscape photographer, and the bulk of a field camera is not a problem for me.
    I'm almost exclusively 4x5 at the moment. I can't say enough about how much I like sheet film and the working method it involves.

WITH THAT SAID...

Shooting LF is definitely different than shooting MF. I would say that if you treat your MF in a slow and deliberate manner, you should have no problem adjusting to the larger camera. If on the other hand you like the ability of having a decent sized neg, but like to move around and do a lot of set ups and variations, I say... Why move to something else?

I know several photographers that for all intents and purposes should have loved LF, but instead found it just didn't "fit" how they worked. It's not a big deal either way, but if it's not for you... The cost of the new purchase could be lots of film and paper to continue your MF work.

Just some thoughts... Whatever you choose, have fun with it.

joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like the Nike commercial a few years ago...

Just DO it!

and I'll add...

............................cause its FUN, Silly!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin