Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,738   Posts: 1,515,535   Online: 1064

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PRB

Shooter
    Medium Format

Talk me out of this change!

Hi All,

Here’s the thing: I have been shooting MF for several years now and love the large negatives and the time in the darkroom with them. Now I have a chance to buy a nice Linhof Technika IV 4x5 kit at a great price, and it comes at a time when I have been thinking of moving a larger format. And I have an enlarger and the lens that will handle the 4x5 negatives.

But I hesitate. My MF negatives and prints seem pretty good in sizes up to 14x16. I have heard all the arguments for moving to 4x5. Why should I stay with MF? Can you talk me out of this move? I am a landscape photographer, and the bulk of a field camera is not a problem for me.

Onward,
    Paul

No matter how slow the film (the) Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer it has chosen.
    --Minor White

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why talk you outta this! Add the Technika to your arsenal, another tool for you to choose from. It ain't no switch, it's an addition.
    Go for it and best of luck - but most important... have fun with the new camera.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you don't handhold your camera, there is nothing to stop you from using the biggest one you can afford.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why??? hahaha!

I think we need to go where we are led by ourselves! If I'd have resisted that lead I'd still be just shooting 35mm instead of walking the line between 35mm & MF.

So...go for it!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't forget the cost and availablity of film in larger formats. Otherwise I agree with Papagene, add it to the arsenal.
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Talk you out of buying the Technika? OK, I'll give it a try.

Paul, buying the Technika would be a really stupid thing to do.

Unless, of course, you want even larger negatives and the ability to control both the geometry of the subject and the placement of the plane of sharp focus, not to mention the ease of development controls provided by sheet film.

Oops. I guess I waffled, and perhaps failed in your initial request. But, please also see my response in your other thread.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PRB
    Hi All,

Can you talk me out of this move? I am a landscape photographer, and the bulk of a field camera is not a problem for me.

Yes I can. Forget what I wrote on the other thread. Stick with MF. Just tell the person from whom you were going to buy the LF kit, that you have a buyer who'll take it off his hands for the same price you were going to pay minus a small additional 'referral' discount which I will reluctantly, but unwaveringly agree to accept. ;-)
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Easy: forget the Technika - what you REALLY need is an 8x10....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can enter the realm of contact printing with 4x5, opening the doors to platinum printing, etc. You could do it with MF, but it might not be so appealing.

Of course, that's a slippery slope, as Bob suggests. You start contacting 4x5, you'll really want to contact print an 8x10, no, 11x14! (Best I can do at talking you out of it...)

-chuck

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Let's put it this way...

If the Tech is more then $700 (and there's no lenses included) pass. You can pickup a field camera that will weight less and I think have better movements. It may not have the strength of the Linhof, but will do just fine. In fact why not make a comparison over at http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm. Read where the RF cams are not standardized on this model if it is a Super model under 1963. They were ground for each individual lens. They were standarized after 1963. Also read where 90mm and under lenses are hard to use on the camera and the bellows are subject to pinholes. Well, that's per the article so make sure to read it. Personally I looked at these cameras a long time ago and passed. There's better values and lighter cameras around.

Now it has been mentioned about buying a 8x10. I'll tell you right now that if you like shooting a 4x5, an 8x10 (and above) will be on you mind all the time, and before you know it will be watching the ads religiously. First try 4x5 before you make an investment. It is a very different way of shooting and much much different than MF. My likes in LF are the cheap Shen Hao on the one end, and the Arca Discovery with the short rail extension. If you can figure out your favorite lenses, do so and buy a body and bellows that will accomplish what you need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin