Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,502   Posts: 1,645,106   Online: 816

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Rollei 66 projector suggestions?

Hello,

I'm about to buy a 6x4.5 camera to shoot some MF slides and I'll need a projector to go with it. I plan to get a rollei 66, however there seem to be a large number of variants with "66" in the model number.

Can someone cut through the confusion for me and recommend a particular model and lens combo?

I have a 35mm projector so I only need the 66 for 6x4.5 and 6x6 (eventually!).

I'd like to buy used, under $500 if possible.

Tom

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are 4 models of them. The higher in alfabet/the longer the name, the more modern it is and more gadgets it got.

As I never came across any of them I'd just take the first to come. If the price seemed right to me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The older P11 is really cheap on the used market.
    I have one and I also found a spare bulb for it (no longer in production but they do come up from time to time; also there's a conversion kit available for newer models).
    It works for both 135 and 6x6 slides with auto advance and a quirky wire remote that I never bothered to use.
    Hope it helps. I paid under 100 EUR for mine and it was in good condition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomfrh View Post
    Hello,

I'm about to buy a 6x4.5 camera to shoot some MF slides and I'll need a projector to go with it. I plan to get a rollei 66, however there seem to be a large number of variants with "66" in the model number.

Can someone cut through the confusion for me and recommend a particular model and lens combo?

I have a 35mm projector so I only need the 66 for 6x4.5 and 6x6 (eventually!).

I'd like to buy used, under $500 if possible.

Tom
    I have two medium format projectors, so perhaps we should talk .

You should consider putting your location in your APUG profile, because that could be quite relevant to any answer you receive. Both of my projectors (a Rollei and a Kindermann) are fairly large and very heavy.

I'm going to follow this thread with interest, because I'd like to learn more about the lens choices.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by iulian View Post
    The older P11 is really cheap on the used market.
    I have one and I also found a spare bulb for it (no longer in production but they do come up from time to time; also there's a conversion kit available for newer models).
    It works for both 135 and 6x6 slides with auto advance and a quirky wire remote that I never bothered to use.
    Hope it helps. I paid under 100 EUR for mine and it was in good condition.
    Someone mentioend the P11 in another thread. How does it compare to the P66 in terms of image quality and brightness?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I have two medium format projectors, so perhaps we should talk .

You should consider putting your location in your APUG profile, because that could be quite relevant to any answer you receive. Both of my projectors (a Rollei and a Kindermann) are fairly large and very heavy.

I'm going to follow this thread with interest, because I'd like to learn more about the lens choices.
    I'm in Sydney, but it's a small world these days!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Leitz Prado 66 (with Elmaron 150mm) my father gave to me.
    I don't shoot many slides, so I am quite satisfied with the slightly spartan features of the Prado.
    If I have to make a decision between P11 and P66 I think I would go for the P11 - I heard about lots of problems with the AF on the P66.
    There are different bulbs available for the P11 :
    - 300 Watt 220V G17Q
    - 500 Watt 220V G17Q
    The 500 Watt bulb may be used only with an additional heat filter ( search for Heat filter 610 570 for Rollei P11).
    These bulbs are very pricey and sometimes hard to find - maybe here :http://www.hcinema.de/lampen/index-e...so2707&status=

For the price of one bulb for the P11 you will get 5 (or maybe more) for the P66 (RSE53 24V 150Watt).
    This could be important for your decision.
    Last edited by macfred; 02-04-2015 at 05:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    “…all photographs are self-portraits.” – Minor White

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by macfred View Post
    I have a Leitz Prado 66 (with Elmaron 150mm) my father gave to me.
    I don't shoot many slides, so I am quite satisfied with the slightly spartan features of the Prado.
    If I have to make a decision between P11 and P66 I think I would go for the P11 - I heard about lots of problems with the AF on the P66.
    There are different bulbs available for the P11 :
    - 300 Watt 220V G17Q
    - 500 Watt 220V G17Q
    The 500 Watt bulb may be used only with an additional heat filter ( search for Heat filter 610 570 for Rollei P11).
    These bulbs are very pricey and sometimes hard to find - maybe here :http://www.hcinema.de/lampen/index-e...so2707&status=

For the price of one bulb for the P11 you will get 5 (or maybe more) for the P66 (RSE53 24V 150Watt).
    This could be important for your decision.
    A 500 Watt bulb! Wow! I think I'll need to invest in a fire extinguisher too!

How do the lenses/image quality compare between the P11 and 66?

Shooter
    Medium Format

Auto vs manual

The problem,as I see it, is that when an automatic projector goes...it is gone. I have a Leitz
    Prodovit 250 (well 2 actually, one no longer works)for35mm but a manual Prado as backup. Can a Rollei 66 projector still be serviced?A Hassy projector is much too costly! Better a leitz Prado 500 for 66. This machine will never wear out.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Service should be possible at DHW (the respective Rollei successor) or at some repair workshops.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin