Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,097   Posts: 1,612,641   Online: 900

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Japanese MF eBay purchases

Anyone have good things to say about buying Fuji or Mamiya from Japanese eBay sellers? It's impossible to beat those prices, but in addition to his shipping rates, I have seen mention of import taxes, and heard of customs seizing items upon shipping, any truth to this? As much as I love eBay, I've never shopped internationally.

any stories?

Fuji GW90iii on eBay is about half price in Japan compares to KEH, that's a tough one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    This is another thread on this topic started this week. You are better off going to www.keh.com who has a great return policy and you do not have to sweat customs or tariff duties.
    Well said. I love your signature!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some of the deals seem too good to be true. So I pass on 'em.

But there IS a ton of darned, nice-looking gear for sale. I wonder if someone bought out a camera store in 1978 and has been sitting on it since.

Shooter
    35mm
    Having been to Japan once, I saw many little camera shops with stacks of dusty gear. I would guess that ebay is just opening doors for people to unload the backlog of these things.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They have a truckload of gear that's almost always in fantastic condition; used to regularly head to Japan for photoshoots and the team *always* looked forward to an elusive day off, to traipse around the camera stores to try an garner a great buy.

I've picked up a few bargains, and one of my crew picked up an incredible deal on a d*****l body - boxed, complete, with all accessories still sealed in their plastic bags. No idea why the previous owner unloaded it, except that maybe they purchased a few weeks before the new model was released. Another picked up the (at the time) brand new F5 for $2k less than AU - he snapped it up, but it only got used maybe a dozen times before he fully moved to the Darkside - when clients want digital, we have to oblige .

I miss not heading back there as often now, but the gear I did pick up - still going strong. Even with the poor exchange rate at the time, saved about $3k over purchasing in AU, *plus* the gear was in NM condition compared to the Fair condition that was available in AU.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For things made in Japan, one can get great deals from them. The only drawback would be expensive p&p costs plus customs with a bill over the total cost (declared value plus p&p).
    Not bad, but they might land you a total not really worthy the fuss. But as always one can get a real deal no matter what.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought two FUJI's (GA645 and GA645Wi) and a Bronica ETRSi in Japan.
    The gear was in better condition as described - exc.++ = near mint.
    In Germany there were only a few, very pricey offers for theFUJI's
    I could save money, although I had to pay the high German import turnover taxes.
    I'm very pleased with those offers from Japan.
    “…all photographs are self-portraits.” – Minor White

Shooter
    35mm
    My mamiya 6 was bought in japonese ebay, camera and 2 lens, that came out quite cheap for me. The only trouble was the customs here and the price I payed.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Never a problem

I have bought Hassy backs and a Fuji mf camera from Japan and was very happy. There are no problems with shipmrnts to the USA. Aparently the sellers warnings are for those countries that do like to gouge whatever money they can from their subjects should they buy anything from abroad. After all,In general,Japanese tend not to abuse thei equipment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I bought my RB67 from a Japanese dealer on ebay, and another lens for it from a different dealer. It was a 127mm K/L NIB--when I checked the dealer, it did appear to be a Mamiya shop in Tokyo unloading surplus on ebay. But the prices were decent, even with shipping, and everything was exactly as described.

You could also check with Japanescamerahunter.com--the guy's prices aren't the cheapest, but he tries to find exactly what you're looking for.
    "People get bumped off." -- Weegee

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin