Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,836   Online: 1062

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Zeiss says Contax will live on

http://home.sprynet.com/~lotusm50/si...taxarticle.pdf

...but how? Not clear. I suspect they will carry the 645 forward and the Zeiss Ikon for 35mm, let the rest fade -- including, alas, the digital G

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't put too much stock in the "Kyocera has stopped making Contax" rumors just yet. By all accounts, someone in Kyocera's distribution chain in Europe sent out a press release stating just that, but Kyocera has since denied the stories as innacurate. They have stated that production of Contax cameras continues for now.

Kyocera will discontinue the cameras they've been making under their own name and under the Yashica name.

The link you posted is dated three days in the future (as I write this), so I suspect that it's a page from a magazine that got caught with supremely bad timing. The initial release came out, they laid out the page, the further releases have clarified that the story was inaccurate...but the pages were already laid out.

Although I'm generally not a big fan of his, you can check out the links in the "What's new" section of luminious-landscape.com for links to press releases from Kyocera and ToCAD that straighten out. Especially: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/pdf/Contax.pdf
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Strange that both the Kyocera & Zeiss stories actually come from Press Releases and interviews and are not originally from the internet.

These two companies know far more than ToCad who are one of many worldwide distributiors and have more of an interest in ensuring their customer keep ordering Contax equipment in the short term.

The AP story is correctly dated, UK magazines are typically released before their cover date, in the case of AP its cover date is the Saturday of the week its released in.

The article is quite clearly accurate. And it is quite possible Contax will remain, almost certainly not manyfactured by Kyocera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    The article is quite clearly accurate.
    I'd like to see some further proof of this, as all of the communications from Kyocera in Japan and their distributor (ToCAD) in the US have indicated that the story out of Kyocera Europe was simply wrong.

Other than the original European press release and the regurgitation of that information by various sources, what other proof exists that the article is correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    I'd like to see some further proof of this, as all of the communications from Kyocera in Japan and their distributor (ToCAD) in the US have indicated that the story out of Kyocera Europe was simply wrong.

Other than the original European press release and the regurgitation of that information by various sources, what other proof exists that the article is correct?
    The only proof that will mean anything is a Contax 645 MK II.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    I'd like to see some further proof of this, as all of the communications from Kyocera in Japan
    I'd take no notice of the rabid out-pourings from the site you quoted and the PDF file.

And think again, 1 - a European Kyocera attributed statement, 2 - A Japanese (Tokyo) Reuters financial report- stating their ceasing camera production 35mm & digital with financial details of their declining output, figures that could only have been released by Kyocera themselves. Then 3 - An article (the point of this thread) which claims to have checked with Kyocera, and a bit more importantly has interviewed a Carl Zeiss official whose's comments and company's actions indicate the truth in the situation.

The market place has suddenly changed dramatically and the number of manufacturers will drop still further. No-one disputes Kyocera are ceasing manufacture of their own brands, but the shared tooling and components with Contax was the backbone of the link, so would it now be economic for them to manufacture Contax equipment without a big increase in prices.

No doubt Zeiss will suprise us all again, who thought that they'd re-introduce a Zeiss Ikon range.

Even if Contax change from what we have now we are better served now in the variety of types of analog cameras & equipment available in these digital times than we have been for many years.

Who would have forecast the big revival in LF photography, the range of panoramic and other wide field roll film cameras, and such a variety of new rangefinder cameras and alternative Leica screw & M fit lenses.

Perhaps we should be less worried about the future of Contax/Kyocera and far more mindful about future products from Zeiss.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK...I'll take the bait on this one...

I'd take no notice of the rabid out-pourings from the site you quoted and the PDF file.
    There's a difference between taking luminous-landscape seriously (something which I rarely do) and taking the PDF seriously (which I can do, as I have contacts in the business who can verify the existence of the ToCAD statement for me...see below for more on the possible veracity of ToCAD's statements).

And think again, 1 - a European Kyocera attributed statement,
    ...which has been discredited directly by a rebuttal from Kyocera Japan.

2 - A Japanese (Tokyo) Reuters financial report- stating their ceasing camera production 35mm & digital with financial details of their declining output, figures that could only have been released by Kyocera themselves.
    ...but digital and 35mm aren't all there is to the Contax name.

Then 3 - An article (the point of this thread) which claims to have checked with Kyocera, and a bit more importantly has interviewed a Carl Zeiss official whose's comments and company's actions indicate the truth in the situation.
    Ahhh...now we get to the meat of the matter. Go back and re-read the story carefully. The Zeiss official makes statements about wishing for Contax to live on if Kyocera does not wish to renew its Contax license. AP can "exclusively reveal that the brand's owner, Carl Zeiss, is keen to see the development of future Contax models and for the Contax name to live on." Now there's hard-hitting journalism for you! Wow! A company wants to protect a famous brand name! Who'd have thought that might happen?!?

Where in any of this does it say Kyocera is no longer making cameras? Only in one, vaguely attributed statement, at the top of the article. Given that this is a magazine article and magazines have a significant lead time, this story was probably written when Kyocera Europe released the statement that they were getting out of the camera business. A statement that Kyocera Japan has since rebutted.

Where does it say Kyocera has relinquished the Contax name? It doesn't. In fact, it says quite the opposite.

It's poor journalism at its best: A nod, a wink, an insinuation, but no hard facts. The only thing in the whole article that's stated as a fact is almost certainly the result of the information that was released by Kyocera Europe; information which Kyocera Japan is denying.

Note this statement: "As we went to press, a senior representative of Karl Zeiss, which is based in Germany, was flying to Japan for a crucial meeting with Kyocera bosses to establish whether Kyocera intends to renew or relinquish its licence to use the Contax brand." It sounds to me like Kyocera still holds the Contax license and has not, as of yet, relinquished it. Further, Kyocera has put forth a statement that they will continue manufacturing the Contax professional film cameras (by which I'm assuming they mean the 645).

In an earlier message you stated, "These two companies know far more than ToCad who are one of many worldwide distributiors and have more of an interest in ensuring their customer keep ordering Contax equipment in the short term." Kyocera Europe is in the same boat as ToCAD here...they're both just distribution companies for Kyocera Japan. If you're willing to dismiss the ToCAD press release then you might want to think about the veracity of the Kyocera Europe statements as well.

I have no doubt that Kyocera was losing money on the digital and 35mm cameras, and that they've ceased production of those. I wouldn't even be surprised if Kyocera Japan dropped the Contax name and got out of the camera business completely. But the article that started this thread certainly doesn't do anything to prove that that's happened...the only direct statement (near the top of the article) is poorly attributed, the comments by the Zeiss spokesman are future-facing with no mention of the current situation, and the whole article smacks of sensationalism. Is Kyocera making cameras today? I don't know. You don't know. Neither did the writer of that article. Nobody knows outside of Kyocera Japan, and they're claiming that they intend to continue making the Contax "professional cameras" (whatever that means). Ten minutes from now we may read a press release stating the Kyocera has dropped all Contax products (a move that would be unsurprising at best), but at this moment they haven't done so.

Although this may have started through press releases before it became an Internet rumor, today that's all it is.

(And please note, I have no real skin in this game. Whether or not any of the Contax models is discontinued is unimportant to me. I just hate the kind of journalism that I see in that article, and the way in which these things swirl around the photography business creating panic. It's all too reminiscent of the recent flap over Ilford. The sky was falling then, but nobody actually got hit on the head. Go figure.)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin