Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,551   Posts: 1,646,334   Online: 998

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rolleiflex TLR cameras scratch negatives? Loading possibly?

Hey guys,

I notice that my 3.5f Rollei randomly puts a very fine.. looks to be a scratch about a 1/8 inch from right side of the negative. It doesn't happen all the time. I've been reading on some blogs, that if you don't load them right, they came make scratches on negative. I put the leader between the two roller and capture it on take up spool at the top. I manually spin the spool a couple of time to make sure that the film doesn't slip out of the slot. Then a shut the back lid and wind it until it stop on "1". Has anyone else had the mysterious issue. I had CLA by Harry last year.

Todd

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    When you look at the scratch on the right side are taking into consideration that the images are upside down in the camera so that right becomes left?
    Is the scratching on the emulsion side or the base? I assume it must be the emulsion as the paper should protect the base.
    If the problem is in the camera you should be able to find it and it pretty much has to be either on the bottom or top roller or on the side of the film gate in the camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Be sure the rollers are free-turning and not bound. The bottom one might be stiff and not turning freely and the film could be sliding across a partially bound-up roller.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'll check the roller again. Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A q-tip/cotton swab can be rubbed along various surfaces where you suspect a burr. Often it will leave a little thread of cotton.

By the way, when you load, do you use the wind handle to tighten the film on the upper spool? Your description isn't clear. I wonder if slightly slack film on some rolls lets the film hang and rub across a surface.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I spin the upper spool with finger. I'll start using crank liked discribed in instructions. I'll use q tip test right now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ok, I cleaned the rollers with dry q tip. I did noticed that there appeared to some dried gunk on the side of roller where line was on.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can add a few drops of lubricant on the edges of the roller to get it to spin more freely. If you flick the roller and it keeps spinning for a bit, it's usually loose enough to not cause any issues.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin