Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,346   Posts: 1,682,483   Online: 818

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Velvia 50 or 100 in MF 120: any difference?

As I entered the world of 6x7 format through the Pentax 67+ a 55mmf4 and a 165mmf2.8, I got a 5 roll stack of Velvia 100. I was thinking of the 1 stop bonus when buying. Is there any difference in color palette/contrast/grain experienced by you between the "real" Velvia 50 and the Velvia 100 in 120 format?
    Give me some more E6 film…

please...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a long time user of V-50 I've deviated a few times to 100, 100f, and always came back to the V-50. I'm sure it has a lot to do with my style of shooting, long time user knowing it's abilities, and ultimately the look I prefer. I've shot the products back to back in both 6x7 and 4x5, I always choose the V-50 in the end.

I'm sure there are many who do not like the V-50 look, so, in most cases it boils down to personal preference.
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Been seriously discussed to death. Google Velvia 50 vs 100 and loads of discussions, articles and comparisons will come up. What will you be doing with your chromes? Scanning? Projecting? Printing? How important is the exact color palette to what you will shoot? Will you enlarge much, is that your concern on the grain? 6x7 you should not have to worry too much about grain...
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format

50 vs 100

I prefer 50 over 100 because of its more saturated palette. But if you're going to scan them, it probably doesn't matter too much since you can adjust in post. Here are samples of both with MF 120 taken with a Mamiya RB67. Try both and see what you like. Note that I always shoot on a tripod. The slow speed of Velvia 50 requires it in my opinion especially when the light is fading. Good luck.
    Velvia 50 https://www.flickr.com/photos/alankl...0/tags/velvia/
    Velvia 100 https://www.flickr.com/photos/alankl...ags/velvia100/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I concur that Velvia 50 is preferable to 100. I shoot it 6x9 for city lights at night.
    If you are scanning, you probably don't need to worry so much about the difference because you can fix it in post.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you Alan for your examples and tips. 6x7 negs and trannies are scanned for now. A MF projector is on the list but not immediately. I'm also a Velvia 35mm shooter. Always projected which is for me the real way to enjoy the positives. So my experience is limited for projecting 6x7.
    I will shoot a couple of rolls of V 50 after the V 100 to get the view of it. So for now with V 100 in my pocket a 1 stop bonus is there when shooting and d.g.tising it.

Many thanks again to everyone who replied.
    Give me some more E6 film…

please...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin