Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,382   Posts: 1,683,058   Online: 872

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Filter for my mamiya 6

Just got one and need some type of protection. Usually I just get the UV filter but I shoot a lot of slides and had the 81 types recommended to me and I'm wondering if I can use the 81 not just on overcast days but leave it on as a lens protection as well? How would it effect shots on sunny days? What if I have it on for C41 or BW? Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    81 series will warm your images up quite a bit, especially 81B or C. I personally avoid "protective" fillters but I understand some people shoot in certain conditions or areas where protection is necessary. If so I'd choose a high quality UV filter and you'll be fine. The key is high quality! Don't skimp. The mamiya 6 has the sharpest lenses in MF, you don't want to compromise that! That said, keep the 81 for overcast days in color.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I would suggest a B+W uv filter and use it always, unless the site condition calls for some other filter "to correct" or "balance", etc,. . . In that case take off the uv and place on lens the new intended filter. When finished with the corrective filter, remove and place back on lens, the uv filter. Only through experimentation and experience will tell you which filter to use under what type of condition for "YOUR" intended results. While it is true that many people have opinions ( i know I do), none is more important than your own. There are a lot of companies will tell you how to use their filters and what it correct for. But that is not a law written in stone, certainly not punishable by death. You ultimately may decide to use a filter other than its intended use, for other "effects" or to affect, or both.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've used a B+W filter for the 80/4 on my Mamiya 7-- I've seen no loss of sharpness from using it. The front element is pristine, though, which it most likely would not be if I hadn't been using it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two options. UV or Skylight.

They aren't really comparable. The UV is for B&W film and is slightly yellow.
    Skylight for color slides and very slight pink tint. If you put a slide on a light box and cover part of it with either one.
    You're going to see the difference with the skylight being more neutral. Skylight will also affect shaded areas by neutralizing excess blue.

IF you're projecting or printing the slides it really doesn't make much difference. Variations in processing will have enough effect you're never gonna notice.
    B+W may have a catalog online to describe differences more effectively than this note. Their skylight is KR1.5 and UV is 010.
    Expletive Deleted!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Two options. UV or Skylight.

They aren't really comparable. The UV is for B&W film and is slightly yellow.
    Skylight for color slides and very slight pink tint. If you put a slide on a light box and cover part of it with either one.
    You're going to see the difference with the skylight being more neutral. Skylight will also affect shaded areas by neutralizing excess blue.

IF you're projecting or printing the slides it really doesn't make much difference. Variations in processing will have enough effect you're never gonna notice.
    B+W may have a catalog online to describe differences more effectively than this note. Their skylight is KR1.5 and UV is 010.
    There is actually a third option John which is a multi-coated protection filter that's completely neutral in colour and purely to protect the lenses front element, I use Hoya ones on all my lenses. http://www.hoyafilter.com/hoya/produ...ro1dprotector/
    Ben

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks for all the replies. Helped a lot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used Hoya HMC UV(0) filters since the day I bought the camera. My reasons were the same - protection of the front lens elements. They have hold up well and I have never seen any ill-effects.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin