Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,617   Online: 845

Shooter
    Multi Format

Vintage tripods.

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you have used or do use vintage tripods. As in perhaps those compact ones that have the leather cases.

I was querying as I was looking at a vintage Zeiss Ikon tripod, and was also pondering if the thread would fit a standard size for a Leica or Rolleiflex twin lens.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The thread should be fine (1/4" Whitworth). The little tubular-metal tripods of yesteryear are very light and portable, will probably not extend to a height of more than 1 meter and are mighty springy! In general, tripods today are vastly better (probably better light metal alloys giving more strength for less weight).

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've got one, maker unknown but it's "Linhof grey", extends to about 5', weighs next to nothing. I use it for the 6.5x9 and 9x12cm Voigtländer plate cameras - just to stay in character
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Crown wood tripod from about 100 years ago. Its legs completely detach from the camera platform and the whole works is very light and compact. It came with my 5X7 Eastman View #2, though I've never used it with that camera.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin