Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,297   Posts: 1,681,476   Online: 930

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Newbie, first roll developed but odd colours

Hi guys, I'm a newbie in film photography and I recently made a decision to step up into medium format with a Hassy and a Rollei. I was really interested in film because I've seen so many samples in the past where the colours and tones are just uniquely beautiful. I shot my first few films and just got the scans back today but I'm somewhat disappointed with the results mainly on the colours. I shot with an Ektar100 and the results I got looked like it had an instagram filter applied onto it. My initial thoughts was maybe they were bad scans but I hope you guys can help point me in the right direction on how to improve. Do these results seem normal to you? If not what do you think could be the potential problem? Could it be bad scans or maybe the chemicals used were old (the films used were well before their expiry date)? I was expecting to get very transparent like tones and colours from the ektar. I'm really new to film so I'd love to hear any suggestions on comments, thank you for your time.

Rocky

Straight scans from labs:

rollei

hassy

hassy

rollei

rollei
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3901TANIRA-R1-11.jpg   3901TANIRA-R3-2.jpg   3901TANIRA-R3-5.jpg   3901TANIRA-R2-12.jpg   3901TANIRA-R1-5.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    since they are scans you have to consider the scanning and what colour adjustments were done there, your monitor calibration, what you've done to the images in your image editor, what the upload to apug has done and what my and everyone elses monitor calibration is. So in short no one on the web can tell you if there's a problem or not, we don't know what you're seeing and you don't know what we're seeing.
    Images look OK to me, perhaps slightly over saturated but only a tad. We don't know what the exact original colours were so can only guess how correct or otherwise they are.

Next time put a colour reference chart in one of your images so that you and we can correct/adjust colour properly.
    Last edited by RobC; 05-26-2015 at 07:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're looking for subtle color, Porta may work better for you. Ektar tends to be pretty saturated, I think of it as what Kodachrome would be as a negative film.

These look fine to me, there seems to be plenty of detail in the dark tones, for example the model's hair and blouse, and the color looks like about what I would expect from Ektar.

More exposure may help. Adding a stop or two will begin to wash out the highlights, but I'm not sure that would get you the "transparent" tones you're looking for or not.

Is the effect you are after a little more like the seascape?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    In my opinion , ektar can be rarely good and frequently very bad. They say highest resolution film but colors are horrid , in my opinion worst color film from kodak and worst in the market. I Find regular film like gold 200 or superia and enjoy the colors.
    I am getting horrible results from our labs and bad film , bad processing , bad exposure , shaky camera , bad scanner total is horrible.
    Switch in to bw and self develop , print and scan from print , use good enlarger and camera lens , use good paper , everything turns in to heaven. I dont know there but here color photography finished
    一向寒山坐
    淹留三十年
    做来访亲友
    太半入黄泉
    渐减如残烛
    长流似逝川
    今朝对孤影
    不觉泪双悬

Shooter
    35mm
    Ektar is marketed as high saturation; your impression is interesting: "like it had an instagram filter applied onto it". You ask for suggestions: start with something more "middle-of-road", like Portra.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You never know what you'll get from lab scans. Were they auto adjusted or done by hand?
    They look normal on my phone, but the back lit shots are a little flared, especially the guitar. But that is not what you asked about.

Typos made on a tiny phone...
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Consider that if you took the same film strip and scanned it on three different scanners, you would likely get three wildly different results -- possibly to the extent that you would doubt that they were the same film. That's why I'm wary of statements that extol a film's saturation or palette based on the scan alone.

These look fine to me. If they were printed optically, they would look very different -- I'm pretty sure of that.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thank you for the replies guys . I had no idea that ektar is a high saturation film, I saw some samples up on the net which were very "light" in colours and assumed I'd be getting similar results. My monitor is colour calibrated but I'm seeing yellows creeping in the highlights from the scans. A lot of the shots were taken on overcast days so I found that a bit odd. How important is it to use warming/cooling filters for film? I wish I had a mentor but I hope you guys don't mind me asking really newbie questions. I am trying to get professional results with the mf system so I'd love to hear any tips or suggestions so I can improve. I'm hoping that by the end of this year I can go on a holiday with just a film system so I'm all ears. The flare is from the Rolleiflex, I'm guessing its because I didn't use the hood which didn't have at the time.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by trythis View Post
    You never know what you'll get from lab scans. Were they auto adjusted or done by hand?
    They look normal on my phone, but the back lit shots are a little flared, especially the guitar. But that is not what you asked about.

Typos made on a tiny phone...
    I have no idea how it was done. It was small scans and I was given around 5mb jpegs with the pics on them. I asked them whether if they were processed or not but I haven't got a reply. Would it be wise for me to invest in a scanner say something like the Epson Vxxx with betterscanning holders and fine tune from there?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyT View Post
    Thank you for the replies guys . I had no idea that ektar is a high saturation film, I saw some samples up on the net which were very "light" in colours and assumed I'd be getting similar results. My monitor is colour calibrated but I'm seeing yellows creeping in the highlights from the scans. A lot of the shots were taken on overcast days so I found that a bit odd. How important is it to use warming/cooling filters for film? I wish I had a mentor but I hope you guys don't mind me asking really newbie questions. I am trying to get professional results with the mf system so I'd love to hear any tips or suggestions so I can improve. I'm hoping that by the end of this year I can go on a holiday with just a film system so I'm all ears. The flare is from the Rolleiflex, I'm guessing its because I didn't use the hood which didn't have at the time.
    I know if is off topic for APUG but I would suggest using VueScan software and owning your own scanner.

Ektar is tricky, and I think they said it best about starting with Portra. I am still trying to wrangle my Ektar results, but with the right scanning, its the most beautiful film in my opinion. I go back and forth between portra and ektar but when I shoot ektar, the scanning process takes more time. I end up custom adapting the scan settings.

Here's a recent Ektar shot, saturation is under control and the fine grain is working in my favor.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 17852802468_ebc20d2fa6_k.jpg  

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin