Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,246   Posts: 1,680,262   Online: 1061

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Horizontal line on Hasselblad images - Light leak? Flare? Something worse?

Hi all,

So I recently acquired a near mint condition Hasselblad 2000FC. I knew that these can have some issues, but this particular camera looked absolutely pristine and initial test rolls looked good.

To date, I've put about 30 rolls through the camera, but only have the results from seven of those, as I develop my black and white at home, but send the colour rolls off for development and scanning.

In 4 of the 84 photographs I have so far (less than 5%), there has been a horizontal line going across the bottom third of the image. It happened once on an early test roll, but I had dismissed it as some sort of random flare, as no other photos on the roll were affected. It wasn't until I received my single colour test roll back from the lab that I realised that possibly more could be going on, as two of the images very clearly had the mark.

I have used a flashlight to inspect the shutter curtains and can not see a leak of any kind.

Has anybody seen this before? Flare? Light leak in the film back? Shutter problem?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Here are the affected images:

Images to show that the camera has been used in similar conditions with similar settings as above with no problems:

Last edited by skysh4rk; 06-10-2015 at 01:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It does look like the light seal for the slide on the film magazine. The seal is one of the easiest and cheapish things to repair on a Hasselblad , there were kits available for them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mike c View Post
    It does look like the light seal for the slide on the film magazine. The seal is one of the easiest and cheapish things to repair on a Hasselblad , there were kits available for them.
    Whew, I hope that you're right and I just need to replace the seals in the film magazine.

Is it typical for Hasselblads that a light seal problem for the dark slide would result in a horizontal light leak?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dark slide seal usually give a vertical line, or a more graded horizontal streak.

That leak looks like light comming from the top of the camera between the back and body. I've seem this if the back is not securely fasstened to the body, since the latch is at the top, the back can lean back a very tiny amount, and the light baffles between the back & body are very shallow. I always ensure the back is secure on the body before I pull the dark slide (push the back and release button closed).

FYI: the dark slide light seals die from age, not from use, so if they have been in the back for a long time, it's always a good idea to replace them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Man.. That pic with the vintage car is nice.

Todd

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable View Post
    Dark slide seal usually give a vertical line, or a more graded horizontal streak.

That leak looks like light comming from the top of the camera between the back and body. I've seem this if the back is not securely fasstened to the body, since the latch is at the top, the back can lean back a very tiny amount, and the light baffles between the back & body are very shallow. I always ensure the back is secure on the body before I pull the dark slide (push the back and release button closed).

FYI: the dark slide light seals die from age, not from use, so if they have been in the back for a long time, it's always a good idea to replace them.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give that a check. I've noticed a tiny bit of play from left to right with the back, but it's always seemed pretty secure from the top though.

My back is a relatively late-model A12 (early 2000s), which I bought as I thought it might reduce the chances of any problems...

Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    Man.. That pic with the vintage car is nice.

Todd
    Oh, many thanks! I just happened upon that car in Geneva on Sunday morning and couldn't resist taking a photo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm pretty sure your problem is "shutter capping". As to lateral movement of the A12 - my brand new ELM showed this,straight out of the box.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    I'm pretty sure your problem is "shutter capping".
    I was thinking something similar, but wouldn't a shutter problem in a focal-plane Hasselblad show up as vertical lines?

I thought that the shutter travelled horizontally across the frame in these cameras, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    As to lateral movement of the A12 - my brand new ELM showed this,straight out of the box.
    Yeah, I was a bit concerned about the lateral movement initially, but I've gotten the impression that it wasn't necessarily an uncommon occurrence.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Put the film in the back as if it was loaded. I bet you find that the leak is at a spot away from the shutter. Light is hitting the film as it comes off of the spool or is being rolled onto the take up spool. You'll see it based on where the fogged film sits before or after being in the film gate. The sporadic nature comes from the amount or angle of light being able to get through a defective seal sometimes but not all times.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    Put the film in the back as if it was loaded. I bet you find that the leak is at a spot away from the shutter. Light is hitting the film as it comes off of the spool or is being rolled onto the take up spool. You'll see it based on where the fogged film sits before or after being in the film gate. The sporadic nature comes from the amount or angle of light being able to get through a defective seal sometimes but not all times.
    I think Dan is right! In my opinion this is the seam between the chassis and metal shell at the top where there is a foam light tap.

Douglas Fairbank
    www.classicv.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin