Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,667   Online: 1089

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Woo Hoo! Score! Just a small example of what makes this the best Photo Community on the 'net. Now isn't about time someone jumped into this thread to tell us how wrong we are for shooting this format and why didn't the 2x3 negative size go the way of the dinosaur (zone users) and the 126 cartridge, but 8-track cartridges sound so much better than CD's, and yaddah yaddah yaddah...

Sorry, just a bit shell-shocked this week. I'll be better after a day with some camera time at the beach. Thanks Bob! And thanks Nathan! You're both no doubt scholars and gentlemen.

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noblebeast
    Woo Hoo! Score! Just a small example of what makes this the best Photo Community on the 'net. Now isn't about time someone jumped into this thread to tell us how wrong we are for shooting this format and why didn't the 2x3 negative size go the way of the dinosaur (zone users) and the 126 cartridge, but 8-track cartridges sound so much better than CD's, and yaddah yaddah yaddah...

Sorry, just a bit shell-shocked this week. I'll be better after a day with some camera time at the beach. Thanks Bob! And thanks Nathan! You're both no doubt scholars and gentlemen.

Joe
    Scholars? Gentlemen? Shit Nathan, who the Hell is he talking about?...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PMFJI. About the AAR 620, it will feed film perfectly well from a 120 spool but insists on taking up on a 620 spool. I respool exposed film to the 120 spool it came from before sending it to the lab. That's what changing bags are for. Adaptation or respooling film on to a 620 spool before use aren't required.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Back to one of the original questions...

IMO, sheet film will be flatter than roll film in the same format. If you compare, you'll see the film stock itself is much stiffer in sheet formats than in rolls (unless you're recutting that eBay aerial roll stock to make odd size sheets), and the holder retains it similarly (supported behind and at the edges); I don't see any way film of any reasonable size can fail to stay flatter with stiffer base (unless it doesn't fit the holder, which is not generally a problem with commercially cut film unless you're trying to stuff 13x18 cm into a 5x7 holder). Add to that the ability to develop a single frame if desired, and control development of the frames for Zone or just for individual assignment of EI or selection of soup for subject matter, and the fact that (to me, at least) it doesn't seem that big a deal to pull the dark slide, expose, and reinsert the dark slide, reverse the holder and repeat, and then replace the holder with a fresh one, compared to winding with a red window and loading the serpentine path of a roll film holder that will fit a non-Graflok back or a 2x3 camera -- not to mention how many cut film holders one can buy for the price of a decent roll film holder.

For me, it's almost a no-brainer. Only the larger emulsion choice of roll films makes it worthy of thought.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll sometimes use HP5 sheets in my Century Graphic. Got a bunch of like new plastic holders cheap and a couple working Grafmatics. One problem I had was in trying to use the spring back. Putting the holders under it like I do with the bigger cameras. Broke one of the back clips off due to the spring tension. Since I fixed it I've been trying to use the backs with the ground glass off sort of like the Grafmatics. I use a 4x5 Nikor film tank for processing. If you want to use a glassless carrier you may have to find a sheet film one for your enlarger. I have one for the 23C.

Advantages are some developing control, but you can also use a few roll backs for this; maybe some film flatness inprovements if you leave your film in the roll holders a long time; and cheaper since good lever 6x9 backs are still rare and expensive. Downside is limited numbers of shots in the field compared to using roll backs. Harder to process and handle. Not much film choice. And I've found that VC papers make up some processing mistakes. Also storage is harder.

I suppose unless you have a camera that doesn't take roll film backs 2x3 sheets make little sense. With my Century they were more of a novelty to try until I got a good 6x9 roll back. One time I saw a 4x5 to 2x3 reducing back. Spring type. Now that seems to make no sense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Joe, FYI: the Grafmatic 23 won't work with the Busch Pressman C. I'd always just assumed it would fit like a cut film holder or the Adapt-A-Roll, but it's too thick. Maybe it'll work like that for some cameras, but it appears it works best with the Graflock back.
    Not a big hassle, I didn't pay a lot for it and will make my money back, but it's a bit dissappointing just the same.

Nathan

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use both rollfilm back & sheet film for my Century Graphic. Carry 4 speeds of sheet film (Efke 50 & 100, J&C 200 and HP5), while only ASA 400 for rollfilm. I use the rollfilm back & rangefinder in hand-held mode; and use ground-glass focusing & sheet film when composing on a tripod. The Century Graphic is a very handy camera size, and the 2X3 sheet film gives me plenty of info for enlarging to 11X14 prints.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Doug, that sounds like a good reason to keep the cut film holders around.
    Are the shots on your site taken with the Century Graphic?
    Nathan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I just purchase a Busch Pressman C Icame with a flash cable but no film holders if any one has some that can be spared I will be interested also I found a link that shows how to adapt a roll back to the spring back the link is
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/jolommencam/Busch/page3.html
    Gustavo Castilla
    We are not moved by things ,
    but by the views we take of them.
    Epictitus.
    My site
    My flicker page
    Facebook
    Contact

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I actually have a cut film back on my RB Pro-S. Shot some HP5+ but after awhile it got boring. You really don't gain too much image size over the rollfilm back; It's just the processing that might make it worth while. I've also a Century Graphic, but have a 6x9 roll back for it, so never really did use the CFH's with it. I would probably think about using cut film with the Pro-S again, but my 6700 LPL probably wouldn't give me a full image size unless I file the carrier and contacts would be too small.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin