Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,225   Posts: 1,532,668   Online: 815
      
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    479
    Images
    8

    Any 2x3 Sheet Film Users?

    Do any of you use 2x3 (2.25x3.25) sheet film, and why?

    I have a couple of Busch Pressman C's and bought some J&C 200 2x3 film because, well, because I have some cut film holders and J&C has it, and well, because it was there ... justification for all sorts of things. Haven't actually brought myself to use it though, 'cause it seems like more of a pain than it's worth. I've always used an Adapt-A-Roll for these cameras.

    So, to make a short story long, I guess, doesn anyone have a convincing reason to use this stuff? I thought about film flatness, but I'm not so sure that the CFH is going to hold it any flatter than the roll film holder.

    Nathan

  2. #2
    bobfowler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Jersey, Land of the Living Dead
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,440
    Images
    19
    I used to shoot a lot of 2x3 tri-x back in the day, but after I bought roll film holders, I kinda stopped using sheets. This image of my oldest son Christopher was shot with a Miniature Speed on 2x3 Tri-X sheets. He was 2 when it was shot, he's now almost 25! He'd probably kill me for having that posted on the web, but hey... he'll get over it!

    BTW Nathan, I think I have about a half dozen 2x3 double cut film holders laying about if you want 'em...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    479
    Images
    8
    Thanks Bob, if someone convinces me that sheet film is worth the extra effort I may take you up on that! Otherwise, I'll probably be done with CFH's when this film is gone...

    Nathan

  4. #4
    noblebeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    555
    Images
    42
    Hi Nathan,

    I just started recently with the 2X3 sheets because I wanted to dust off the old Busch Pressman that my dad left behind when he died. Part of my reasoning (actually a big part) was to get the slow, deliberate methods of large format photography without the extra expense of getting a new 4x5 or larger camera, enlarger and such. Except for the film and a Yankee daylight tank I already had all that I needed. So now I can pretend I'm an LF'er without any additional cash outlay. I can try to practice the Zone System (though that seems to be a dirty word this week around here) and see if it will work for me or not; I can try different developers/times/agitation techniques on single sheets of film instead of whole rolls.

    Out of curiosity, what roll film adapter are you using on yours? Everything I've seen in my research indicates that none of the commercially available ones are a direct fit, except for the one that takes 620 film - did you undertake some sort of adaptation?

    And Bob - how much do you want for the 2x3 film holders?

    Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

    "Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

  5. #5
    Ole
    Ole is offline
    Ole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Bergen, Norway
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    9,281
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    31
    I use 6.5x9cm film, or will when I can get some. I have a cute little Voigtländer VAG in that size, with holders and all. I have a roll film holder too, but that's not quite as interesting. Possibly because I have two other 6x9 cameras?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

  6. #6
    juan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    St. Simons Island, Georgia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,637
    Images
    4
    I shoot sheet film in my Miniature Speed Graphic. I otherwise usually shoot 8x10, so sheet film was a natural for me. I only contact print - not very easy to do with roll film. Also, I am able to individually develop each sheet to the proper CI - something else hard to do with roll film.
    juan

  7. #7
    bobfowler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Jersey, Land of the Living Dead
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,440
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by noblebeast
    <snip>
    And Bob - how much do you want for the 2x3 film holders?

    Joe
    I just want them the Hell out of my house, or at least off my friggin' desk...

    Nathan - you have first dibs, if you say "no", then they're goin' to Joe.

    Damn, that was almost poetic...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,234
    Images
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by nsmith01tx
    Thanks Bob, if someone convinces me that sheet film is worth the extra effort I may take you up on that! Otherwise, I'll probably be done with CFH's when this film is gone...

    Nathan
    At the threat of causing problems, the only reason I can see for using sheet film, and why I use sheet film-Been a long time since I used 2x3-, is to control development of each negative. It is a control issue.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

    So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    479
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfowler
    Nathan - you have first dibs, if you say "no", then they're goin' to Joe.
    Damn, that was almost poetic...
    Almost ...
    Thanks for the offer Bob, but you can give 'em to Joe. I've got a few, and a Grafmatic as well. I may decide to use sheet film once in a while, but I probably have plenty of film holders for that.

    Quote Originally Posted by noblebeast
    Out of curiosity, what roll film adapter are you using on yours? Everything I've seen in my research indicates that none of the commercially available ones are a direct fit, except for the one that takes 620 film - did you undertake some sort of adaptation?
    As for the roll film adapter, it's an Adapt-A-Roll and it is indeed for 620 film. Turns out that the Adapt-A-Roll will take a 120 spool on the input side as long as you have a 620 spool for the output side. The film is the same. Some 120 spools work better than others, some I have to take a pair of shears and trim off a little 'lip' around the edge of the spool. Doesn't affect the film, but then again I load & unload in subdued light. Since I develop my own film I just remember to save the 620 spool when I'm done.

    I've looked into modifying it for 120, and still may one of these days, but it'll take some work as you'd probably need to replace the, uh, 'pins' that fit into the ends of the spools. The hole at the end of the 620 spool is smaller than the 120. Meanwhile, it's really not much trouble to do it this way.

    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    At the threat of causing problems, the only reason I can see for using sheet film, and why I use sheet film-Been a long time since I used 2x3-, is to control development of each negative. It is a control issue.
    Fair enough. That's a decent reason, I guess it goes along with being able to shoot a small number of a particular film type without exposing a whole roll.
    Even better if you ARE using a roll film holder to be able to take a 1 or 2 shots of a different film...

    Nathan

  10. #10
    bobfowler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Jersey, Land of the Living Dead
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,440
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by nsmith01tx
    Almost ...
    Thanks for the offer Bob, but you can give 'em to Joe. I've got a few, and a Grafmatic as well. I may decide to use sheet film once in a while, but I probably have plenty of film holders for that.
    Looks like they're off to the west coast then...

    Joe, watch your mailbox!
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin