Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,158   Online: 814

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

soft scretch on hasselblad lens

Dear photographers,

I am about to buy a new lens for my hasselblad, it a cheap used 2.8/80mm planner CFE t*
    But a little (soft) scratch on the outer glass makes me doubt, on the other hand I don't really have the money for a proper one so I wonder how these things usually effect pictures.

1)Anyone with experience? I hope it's like the window when you focus on it you see everything though focus far behind it and you hardly see it.

2)And maybe someone can indicate the prices of replacing the outer glass.

Thanks in advance!
    Quinten

Shooter
    35mm

distressing

It is distressing to have a scratch on a lens. It is my understanding that such a scratch would add some flare to the negative. the degree of the flare would, I believe be represented by the surface area of the scratch vs the amount of lens surface being used. If the scratch were well of center and the lens stopped down enough the scratch may not have any influence whatsoever. The foregoing is conjecture on my part.

If you go to carlzeiss.de you could contact them relative to repair costs. It may be that they would send you to Hasselblad.

If possible, get permission to try the lens with a period of time for a return priviledge.

This lens may be a very good bargain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quinten,
    IF the price is right it can be a good value.
    The cost of replacing the element may be more than purchasing an entire lens.
    The effect of the scratch can be minimized by filling it with a black paint. Using a 5/0 brush you should be able to fill the scratch without too much trouble. If the 5/0 is too large, trim it down you can actuall carry enough paint with only one or two hairs on a brush. If you get carried away, paint can be removed with a q-tip dipped in thinner.

quentin,
    don't obsess over a small scratch. you won't even notice it on the negative. It wouldn't hurt to use a lens shade in strong light, but that's good advice, in general.
    Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    I purchased about three years ago a heavily used Pentax 645 for about $200.
    The body was battered but 100% functional. The lens was in similar shape but the glass was fine except for several fine scratches on the front element. It's as if someone tried to clean the lens with a cloth that had sand in it..

I love this kit, my images exhibit no excess flare.. Sharpness isn't affected.. I got a great deal in my mind..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the replies lads, maybe I've been too obsessed with scratches after all the lens is about 50% of what it would normaly cost at this age.

cheers!

Shooter
    Large Format
    In my experience, small scratches on the front element have no noticable effect but, the same is not true of even small scratches on the rear element. So if the front element is scratched, enjoy the bargain but, If the rear element is scratched, just walk away.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinten
    Thanks for the replies lads, maybe I've been too obsessed with scratches after all the lens is about 50% of what it would normaly cost at this age.
    How much are they asking? At the Boston show last weekend one of the dealers was offering a 500CM with back, waist level finder, 80 Planar and a 90-day warranty for $500! There were new-in-the-box Rollei 6008 bodies for $1000. At these prices, some would consider it madness to buy anything other than near-perfection.

I think further retrenchment looms. A huge big-city dealer told me within the last month that they have little or no interest in taking medium format trades any longer. The stuff is unsellable in the city. Only the 'Bay keeps the stuff from stacking up in heaps.

So, it may finally be affordable to be fussy about used Hassy stuff!

Jusy one perspective - feel free to use as you see fit.

jk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    go to the store, take a roll of film, shoot it with the lens, have it processed and make a choice, or have them shoot one for you and guarantee it was that lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quinten,

There so many decent used inexpensive 80mm CFE/CFIs on the market now, why buy one with a scratch?

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin