Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,681   Posts: 1,482,190   Online: 1067

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Hasselblad and Monopod ?

I am going on an extended trip to a place that might not allow tripods too often.

So I am thinking about using a monopod.

Any thoughts/experience on this?

Images
    If they don't like tripods, they usually don't like mono, bi, tri, or quads either. Maybe a beanbag.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I quite often use my blads on a monopod and found it to work very well. I have not been questiond by any authority yet...maybe because I use my Gitzo trekking pole that is suitably fitted with a camera mounting screw that will take the Hasselblad quick release shoe or fit straight to the camera. Go for it! Stan. L-B

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought my monopod to use with my Hassie and it does work better than hand-holding. If I were doing a long exposure, I'd still want the tripod.
    For traveling, the monopod is definitely easier.

A lot of places that don't allow tripods, do that because people can trip over the legs. It can be more for safety than security.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have and still use a monopod made by the old Daylite Screen company,
    It looks like Bat Masterson's gold top cane. I have never been stopped by the museum authorities or even asked not to use it. They work better than
    hand held, but a tripod is still the only way to go if possible. A bean bag is
    not my cup of tea, they are hard to carry, work great, but take up too much space for me. I began using one while shooting the old Denver bronco's football games, A 180 mm was norm then, and nose heavy so the monopod
    mounted to the lens socket (1/4x20T) helped balance the camera body very well. I also use a walking stick carved out of a hard wood stick with a quarter twenty machine screw epoxied into the top for primitive rendezvous and Civil War reenactment. These folks dont want to see a bright shiney modern anything in their camps. (And rightly so!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    I
    So I am thinking about using a monopod.
    I got my Mono to use with my Hassy too but I think I need a ball head. A 3d head is kinda hard to use.

Do you have the Hasselblad Manual book? There's an interesting photo on how to actually use a monopod. I did not know that the bottom (leg) should be angled in front of you and your 2 legs + the monopod, creates a Tripod. I always thought monopods should be straight up and down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, tripods are forbidden in many places... Not only to avoid people of falling on the legs... but also to sell more "good" pictures in the tourist shop! It's the same reason why flash is forbidden in such places as many of the artefacts will never be affected by the light... (while of course some would be)...
    So, I have one monopod... that I use everywhere and everytime I cannot take my tripod... To make sure I don't forget them at home, both of them typically remain in my car...
    I also never directly use the shutter button of my blad but use a short cable to reduce camera twisting because of the pressure...
    It's just an unexpensive monopod (don't believe a monopod would require many features in my case, I even removed some additional elements it had and that I didn't care) on which I have a manfrotto head. This allows me to have same quick fix on this monopod, my own tripod, and even some other people's tripods that are using Manfrotto ballhead... and so quickly decide for the best solution at every time.
    In addition to these solutions I quite frequently use my camera bag (a medium size lowepro) for longer shots (1/15s to 1sec) with very good results... but of course with very limited levelling options... I never have seen any place where the camera was allowed and not the camera bag...
    Charles "Biloko" Lemaire

Shooter
    Multi Format

Monopods or not?

Hi,

I use a monopod regularly, if they'll let you use one it would be a great advantage, that's of course if its a reputable make and sturdy. It has saved my skin on several occasions when I've been using a Broni as well as using longer lenses on 35mm. If a tripods is not possible, they're essential!

P.Berry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another travel alternative is the chainopod. Once attached to the camera, drop the chain to the ground, step on it, and pull gently up on the camera. Not quite as steady as a monopod, but it's easily concealed in a jacket pocket. You could also use the stealth model, made from black rope.

[COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Another travel alternative is the chainopod. Once attached to the camera, drop the chain to the ground, step on it, and pull gently up on the camera. Not quite as steady as a monopod, but it's easily concealed in a jacket pocket. You could also use the stealth model, made from black rope.

What a cool Idea! Never seen it, never done it, would be trying to find a pole to lean against.
    I have a monopod I use all the time. Have been asked to get rid of it on a couple occasions. 99% of the time it is not a problem. I'd say go for it and if they ask squeeze the shutter then comply. Or ask them if they would hold very still while you use their shouder to secure your camera.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin