Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,204   Posts: 1,531,654   Online: 1143

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    The first one is the square format. After working with 35mm 'rectangles' I find 6x6 difficult to compose. It's also (to me) not normal to crop an image so I can print it onto a rectangular piece of paper.
    Kent, who said you have to crop it to fit it on the paper? You can do what I do and trim off from the long-end of (for example) an 8x10 sheet to make it roughly 8x8" and you also get a ~2x8" test strip.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Well nice to see some interest... and I received a PM also. I figure about a week and I will choose a victim.

Will - I understand, however if nobody worried about spending a couple hundered bucks to see if they liked a camera then there would never be threads debating the used of vinegar as a stop bath. I have other lenses, and if someone REALLY wanted to try one I might be persuaded to loan one out. And with the models of cameras I have, I cannot change backs mid-roll. Heck, there are only ten shots anyway. If one just has to change film types, waste some film. Much less valuable than one's time in the long run.

As far as cropping prints... I have a nice 8x10 print shot of downtown at night taken in the rain which I had hanging here at work. 6x7 negatives print very nicely on 8x10, so there was little cropping done. A lady here at work was looking at the print, cocked her head sideways a little, and held up a piece of paper to crop the print. Then she says "Oooh, this looks better.". I printed the negative at 16x20 and cut it square to crop like she was doing. Dry mounted & matted & framed it looks pretty darned good if I say so myself. I would not have thought of cutting it square, but it works well in this case.

Don't let the aspect ratio of the format limit your visualization of the print. I never thought much about prints other than what you could do on the "standard" paper sizes, which in small midwestern towns before the internet was strictly limited to 3 1/2 by something, 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. Only after slowly reading "The Edge of Darkness" did I begin to notice squarish prints, and how well they work for some images.
    Those who don't think Photographers have the skills of REAL artists such as painters obviously have not had to spot my prints.

Images
    Remeber that this is a loaner, not a give away. You will need to give the camera back.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I sent the PM, so here it goes
    You didn't say whether it should be posted to everyone or in PM, so here it goes.

I'd love to give your camera a test drive.
    I'm finishing my PhD degree in NC and while I have a TLR (Ricohlflex) and a few 35mm classics, I'd love to try a MF rangefinder.
    I saw a Mamiya 7 the other day but it's way beyond my reach for now.

I use JC Pro and APX100 films in 120, that I rpocess myself.
    I have capability of enlarging 6x6 only, so I'l have to cut the edges to make prints for you though!

Thanks for considering me as a loaner

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Interesting... I was not expecting to only have interest from individuals who either own or have used medium format. The original goal was to find someone who has never used a mf camera, and then lure them to the larger formats.

Oh well, if nobody else chimes in I will give one of these guys a shot at a rangefinder. I am sure they will have a blast.
    Those who don't think Photographers have the skills of REAL artists such as painters obviously have not had to spot my prints.

Shooter
    Pinhole

6x9 folder

I have 3 now:

Agfa Ventura 69 with Agnar triplet lens...needed work and still fussing with the shutter.

Moskva V, lucked out $35 + $15 shipping form Ukraine. All is well except about 1 in 8 shots the shutter sticks open or doesn't fire. NO leaks, sppeds good when shutter works. Hard to see coupled rangefinder focus in very bright light, fine in low light.

Kodak/Nagel Vollenda 620 with Schneider Xenar. Pedigree suggested worth getting a CLA. Have yet to get anything good out oif it due to repeated operator error. Using old found film Italian Panchro and some variety of Ansco.

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    All rightie then... Since it seems we only have two interested parties it is time to make a decision. From reading a brief Bio I asked each of the contestants to send, I have decided that both seem legitimate and worthy of borrowing my camera. So who's first? Seeing as how this turned into an international event, I decided to toss a foreign coin. The Canadians won, and MaxPower gets the first shot. When I get the camera back, and everything has gone smoothly then titrisol will get the next chance.

I am looking forward to my prints!!

Good luck Kent

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Well my first attempt to loan out my camera has not gone so well. Apparently UPS was less than helpful in arranging delivery, and wanted $58 or so for duties even though it was listed as a gift. It is on its way back to me, leaving a heartbroken Kent gnashing his teeth. I feel badly it has worked out this way.

However, after I get the camera back & verify it wasn't banged up, if titrisol is still interested I will give him a try. If anyone else in the States is interested, I suggest you send me a note explaining why your name should be added to the list.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Apologies

I just wanted to thank Rex again for his generosity and apologise for him having wasted his time and efforts in this first attempt. Long story short, UPS played it's part as 'fifth business' in this story and was not very helpful. I cannot say that I'm very impressed with either their customer service (delivery system) or their fees.

I do so hope that the programme will work out better the second time.

Cheers,
    Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What a pickle!!!! I'm genuinely sorry about that mess Max and Rex

And Yes, I'm still interested in give it a spin. I'll be defending my thesis on June 15th so from here till then I'll be quite swamped but summer looks good.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin