Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,794   Online: 994

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    My experience/suggestion with shipping to Canada.

UPS experience is probably right on par for how they do things. I'll remember. I think we all on this list will remember the experience.

FedEx screwed me up royally by giving me wrong customs advice for Ground to Canada service and insisting upon what they told me when I pointed out flaws. 4 months later I did get it back at who knows what expense...they can't tell me what they charge me as a credit card acct.; I only find out later thru my credit card.
    I learned that Fed Ex Ground requires pre-arranged customs clearance, but for some other level of service they do their own clearing. Bad experience; I'll remember.

USPS; not the cheapest way to go domestically, but actually cheaper to many countries. I fill out a simple customs form and have never had any problems yet.

So, next go-round, I'd suggest USPS and have the recipient research if there is any 'sensitive' or 'insensitive' wording for aged photographic equipment to ease its passage.

Lastly, for postal deliveries to Canada, part of their stepped up security adamantly requires both first and last names on the package for sender and recipient; they almost guaranteed to reject things with a last name only or 1st initial and last name.

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks for the info Murray. I spoke with someone at UPS who actually seemed to know what was going on. I paid the nominal amount to have the box returned, and expect to see it within the next few days.

I feel badly that this didn't work out. Sort of puts a damper on trying to act as a good steward by loaning out my camera internationally. The other individual interested in borrowing the camera is going to be pretty busy with some studies, so maybe Kent & I should formulate a shipping plan and try this again.

I am still surprised that there were only two individuals interested in trying out a MF rangefinder. I suppose I would have been swamped if it were some digital thingy <sigh>.
    Those who don't think Photographers have the skills of REAL artists such as painters obviously have not had to spot my prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    well, 2 more weeks to go for my defense.
    My thesis is printed and ready to go
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Well, the first round didn't go as well as planned. Fortunately the camera has made its way home safe and sound. I plan on running a roll of film thru it just to make sure everything is up to 'snuff, and to check the focus. I don't expect there to be a problem.

I will start this thread again as soon as I have done the checkout. Too bad I can't have a print from Canada, I was looking forward to that.

So... if you think you are interested in a shot at a MF rangefinder, sit down and convince yourself you have the time, and convince me why you should be able to borrow my camera. You can post to the "round #2" thread I will soon start.

Give me a few days....
    Those who don't think Photographers have the skills of REAL artists such as painters obviously have not had to spot my prints.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin