Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,090   Online: 1039

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Loaner program for a MF camera #1

I have a couple of Koni-Omega rangefinder medium format cameras. Since I only use one of them, I have decided to help out those who are toying with moving up to medium format (sorry - I don't have any LF gear. But if you are willing to loan me yours...). You can check out the camera at http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/korapid.html Scroll down to the first picture with a red background. The camera has been cleaned and adjusted. Although this is an "old" camera, it takes beautiful pictures. Included will be a 90mm lens and one film back. You will need to provide your own 120 film.

So here's the deal:

1. You post a reason why I should consider loaning you my camera.
    2. I will pick who to send to. No democracy here, MY camera - I choose. If you don't have access to a darkroom, don't bother asking to have the camera.
    3. I will send you the camera, I will cover shipping one way. If you live outside the US, I may ask you to split the cost of shipping.
    4. You have the camera for 3 months from the day I ship it. Use it.
    5. You send the camera back, you pay for insured shipping ($100 value is OK).
    6. You send me what you consider to be the TWO BEST photographs you made with this camera. I will let you decide on print size and all those details (contact prints are NOT acceptable). I can dry mount & frame so don't waste your money on that nonsense unless you really want to.
    7. Let a family member know what is going on so that if something happens to you I can still have my camera back.
    8. All costs incurred due to your addiction to a larger format film are your responsibility.

As with anything mechanical there is the risk that something breaks. All I ask is that you take care of the camera, don't abuse it, don't disassemble it, keep it clean, and if it breaks - make sure you send me all of the pieces and a good story explaining what happened.

I only check APUG about once a day, so please be patient.
    Those who don't think Photographers have the skills of REAL artists such as painters obviously have not had to spot my prints.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What a neat idea! I hope someone takes you up on it.

Maybe if this catches on, we should have some sort of equipment exchange forum.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not only a neat idea, but a generous one as well. If I were a 'street' shooter, I think it would be interesting to see the greater quality a larger neg would bring to that style of photography. Arial photography would lend itself to this camera too I think. Sounds like a terrific project. I hope you'll someday post the 'graphs that result. As David said, such a program might be worth a forum of its own if it were to flourish.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wouldn't just buying a folder like an Ansco Titan, Billy Record, etc. be a lot easier way to try out medium format? Not to knock your idea, but the only reason to use a Koni I can see is to try out different lenses (which I don't think you have) and different backs (which you don't seem to have) so as to do +/- development. I think there are a lot of coupled and even uncoupled rangefinders to be had for less than $100 or even $50. I suppose there are some people who can't come up with $100 or $50. If that is who you are trying to attract then is this sort of like a drug dealer offering the first one free? Just make sure you follow it up with, "You can't always get what you want, but you can always get what you need." :-)

Best,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Images
    Your a good person Rex. I started my slide down to addiction with a loaner MF camera.

This is a heck of an offer, folks. The addiction is sweet and the water at the deep end is fine.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Will S
    Wouldn't just buying a folder like an Ansco Titan, Billy Record, etc. be a lot easier way to try out medium format? Not to knock your idea, but the only reason to use a Koni I can see is to try out different lenses (which I don't think you have) and different backs (which you don't seem to have) so as to do +/- development. I think there are a lot of coupled and even uncoupled rangefinders to be had for less than $100 or even $50. I suppose there are some people who can't come up with $100 or $50. If that is who you are trying to attract then is this sort of like a drug dealer offering the first one free? Just make sure you follow it up with, "You can't always get what you want, but you can always get what you need." :-)

Best,

Will
    There are some, me included who had the money but did not want to just go ahead and buy to see if they liked it. That money was precious and still is. If I bought the camera and did not like the format, I was stuck with it-Ebay was not around yet. It was an offer like this and the loaning of some reels that helped me make my decision for the price of film. A much better deal for me because I was not committed. My wife has hated that person ever since.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Images
    Good Afternoon,

Great offer. If I didn't already have and use the Koni-Omega system, I'd join the competition.

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Super idea. I would do the same if I had a couple instead of only one. In fact I used mine yesterday to document a mall conversion project going on in Annapolis. With the client's permission, I might be able to post a result or two.

The Koni Omega is as capable as any MF camera I've ever used. It is a little heavy but the unusual film transport is unique AFAIK. It takes film from the supply to take-up reel without touching any camera parts. The film is positioned to the film plane through a series of levers as the shutter release is pressed. It works great and so is the 6x7 format (IMHO). I use mine for general documentation and "street" scenes. Not handy for formal portraiture or still life pictures. The 90mm Hexanon lens is phenomenal with as little flare of any lens I've used. The 180 mm ain't bad either.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    FWIW, I've had great respect for the Pentax 67 lens system and tested these Konica lenses against the Pentax one time just knowing the P67 would win hands down. Wrong. These Konica lenses are better than first rate. Somebody will have some fun making pretty Velvia with this.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My post for your consideration

My name is Kent Judiesch and as you can see by my profile, I live in Quebec City, Canada.

I just came back to B&W photography 10 months ago after a 20 year hiatus. It had been a long-time dream of mine to have my own darkroom and I finally managed to realise it last year. My principal cameras right now are both 35mm: a Canonet and an X-700 with a couple of lenses. I am always out and about taking pictures. Depending upon my mood and where I'm going and what I'm doing, I either take the X-700 or the Canonet. I have to admit that the whole 'rangefinder' experience has grown on me and I really like the advantages that it affords in being inobtrusive and how it helps in composition. With the help of APUG, I have managed to learn a lot of things about both actually taking pictures, processing film and creating prints in the darkroom. Last January I even bought a Beseler 23CII so I could eventually move up to bigger 120 formats. I can't believe that it took me 20 years to get back into photography and darkroom work. I really love it.

A few months ago, wanting to dip my toe into MF I bought an inexpensive C220 to give a go. I'm really fond of the format: the 6x6 negative is great. It's big and fine and makes amazing prints. What I'm a bit disappointed with, however, is two things related to the TLR. The first one is the square format. After working with 35mm 'rectangles' I find 6x6 difficult to compose. It's also (to me) not normal to crop an image so I can print it onto a rectangular piece of paper. The second disappointment is that I find that composition and the actual physical movements needed to trip the shutter are not 'natural'. For architecture and scenery shots with a tripod and shutter release, a TLR is pretty good. For everything else, though, I find a TLR to difficult to use.

Lately I've been thinking about a MF camera which I could use more like either of my 35mm cameras. That is, a camera which would be more 'natural' to use (either RF or SLR), that would give me a rectangle instead of a square, and that would give me those great massive MF negatives which I have started to love.

As for the other requirements. Photography has become a major passion (and one that my wife approves of!!!) I spend lots of time on the weekends both out taking photographs and in the darkroom; so I can promise you that I would take a lot of pictures and that some would actually be pretty good! I give you my word that the camera would be well cared for. I am very fussy about my own equipment, and my parents raised me to respect other people's property more than my own.

So, for all of these reasons, I humbly submit my candidature

Cheers,
    Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin