Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,274   Posts: 1,660,852   Online: 929

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sure, a Mamiya Press will have fewer alignment issues than a folder. But I can put any of my 6x9 folders (even the bulky Moskva-5) in a coat pocket -- and I challenge the Mamiya to make a negative distinguishable from those out of my 1928 Voigtlander Rollfilmkamera, barring flare from the uncoated lens or enlargments bigger than about 16x24 inches...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Here's beauty - there are cheaper ones, but not many nicer! http://www.ritzcam.com/catalog/index...tegory_id=1130
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ole, mine is the Rollfilmkamera model, the direct precedent to the Inos I. It's 6x9 only (Inos was 6x9/6x4.5 with double framing windows) and has simpler accents etc., but otherwise very similar; it has a 10.5 cm f/4.5 Skopar in rim-set Compur with unit focusing, pull-out front standard rather than the self-erecting type that started to show up in the late 1930s, and no body release -- but the waist level finder is clear, clean, and bright, so I can cradle the camera and release with a thumb, and hand hold dead steady about 90% of the time down to 1/25, and effectively 100% at 1/200. This was surely a very expensive camera in 1928. I've been tweaking and tuning it since I got it.

What'd I give for it? I traded a lens and shutter. I got the combination of 105 mm Dominar Anastigmat and Press Prontor for $10, with the shutter jammed solid in the open position (based on how it was mounted, I think it had been used for enlarging), repaired and cleaned the shutter, and machined the mount into a retaining ring, then fabricated a lens board to fit a Baby Graphic. Since I have more time than money just now, it was a pretty good deal...

I'd love to have a Bessa rangefinder, or the 6x9 Prominent (with Heliar, please), but until I find my gold mine, this Rollfilmkamera will do the job nicely...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

I just recently sold a Mamiya Press 23. It is a great camera with great lenses, but they have to be one of the heaviest and bulkiest hand held cameras out there. I couldn't carry it on long walks. I have a Century Graphic that weighs much less and folds much more compact and will match the optical quality. It's my first camera of choice for serious work.
    I keep a Moskva 5 loaded for a grab camera. The pics I've taken with it look just as good as my heavier cameras, but I haven't made any big enlargements from it yet. Smaller prints look very sharp and contrasty. Moskva's do vary in quality, though. I had to buy two to make one good one, so be careful where you buy.
    I also have a Wirgin Auta that is even lighter and more compact than the Moskva 5. It has a 105mm f=4.5 Gewironar triplet lens with four shutter speeds (25, 50, 100, 125) plus B. Stopped down a stop or two it takes great pictures and is very sharp and contrasty. If this had a couple of slower shutter speeds and a 250 speed as well, it'd be my pocket camera of choice. In the meantime, the Moskva 5 does an excellent job.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I have a Kodak Tourist II with an Anastar lens. This lens is as good as the Moskva 5 Industar lens. The camera origionally took 620 film, but can be modded to take 120. I did this this a couple of years ago (camera had an Anaston triplet on it then.) It takes a good afternoon's work and a dremel tool to convert, but works well when done.

Dave

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin