Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,543   Online: 1045

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Mamiya 80mm f/1.9 vs f/2.8

Sorry for bombing the forum with questions, but information on MF is not so readily available! Im looking at MF for the sole purpose of low light photography.

Im currently debating between a 645E & Super/Pro models. However, the 645E tend to come with the 80mm f/2.8. I was really keen on the f/1.9, but am wondering how much difference there would be.

Daniel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    overall size, weight & filter size are significantly different, but if it takes better pics... I just bought a 2nd hand 1.9 but haven't had the chance to try it out and compare to my 2.8. the 1.9 takes 67mm filters and the 2.8 58mm. The 55/2.8 and 150/4 (no idea about the 150/3.5) also take 58mm. The 45/2.8 is up to 67mm too, as is the 150/2.8 (which I aslo bought but have not used). None of that itells you anything about what really matters... if the pictures are any better!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Id love to see some photos demonstrating the bokeh and dof of the f/1.9 wide open. Please post a link to a shot if you ever get round to it. I've also been told the view is very bright with the f/1.9, this would seem usefull for focussing in low light.

How do you find hand holding your Mamiya? Is using it in portrait mode really so difficult?

Daniel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no real problem hand holding it. I have a Pro TL (fairly recent buy from an APUG member) and an old 1000s. The 1000s is better for verticals as it has the extra shutter release which is easier to use.

Can't comment on the viewfinder brightness yet, and don't know when I'll manage a comparision print.. watch this space!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggs
    Id love to see some photos demonstrating the bokeh and dof of the f/1.9 wide open. Please post a link to a shot if you ever get round to it. I've also been told the view is very bright with the f/1.9, this would seem usefull for focussing in low light.

How do you find hand holding your Mamiya? Is using it in portrait mode really so difficult?

Daniel.
    I have a 645 and a 645E, both came with 80/2.8's I've never bothered to chase a 1.9 lens as I have plenty of hand held pics of my two young boys running around the yard that are just fine so the extra stop in speed seems irrelevent, at least for my needs. Samples attached ... both shot with the 645E.

Glenn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Max Hatter Oct04.jpg   Harry Pirate Oct04.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggs

Daniel.
    The 80mm f/1.9 Mamiya is one of my favorite lenses of all time. If it's not too terribly more expensive, I'd recommend going for one.

Here's a photo showing the bokeh and DOF wide open: http://www.jimadsonphotography.com/g...mFilters=t#pic

Shooter
    35mm
    For low light photography with MF you might also want to consider Horseman, Linhof, koni-Omega and Mamiya press cameras.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin