Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,445   Online: 913

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DOH!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    I've probably made every bone-headed mistake there is - at least that I can think of. There are probably more. One I vividly remember was at the end of a Fine Art session:

Me: "OK. Great work!! Get dressed and we'll go for coffee."

(Opens Hasselblad magazine to find - nothing! No film!!)

Me: "Uh ... Wait a minute. Uh, I just had an idea! One more roll.."

Model: "Yeah. Right. Forgot to load the magazine, didn't you, Slick.!"

Ouch. She called me "Slick".
    Don't feel too bad, on a wedding job last year, I shot a hell of a lot of frames of 6X6 at the brides house before I realized that "Gee, I should have hit 12 exposures by now" The multi-exposure lever was in the "multi" position. Thank God I caught it before we left for the church and I could re-shoot everything.

This was one of the very few times Liz wasn't with me at the brides house. She had gone ahead to the country club where the ceremony was to shoot pix of the groom and best man. SHE would have caught that at exposure 13!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    Another, burned forever in my memory, is from my "Spot News" days (OK, OK - Paparazzi.)

I had some great work, and for once, no one else was around!!
    I removed a 35mm casette from my Olympus OM-4. Closed the back, and realized in classic slow motion that the precious casette was suspended in mid air. It began its inevitable descent. Now, Kodak casettes are notoriously difficult to open. In the darkroom, I usually have to exert so much force on them that I distort them to where I cannot re-use them.
    This one... Landed on a cement sidewalk, directly on the spool end. One would imagine that a three, three and a half, foot drop would not be much - but - NO! This time the end cap popped right off; the spool disassembled itself instantly, and I found myself watching the film unwind itself in noon-time Florida sunlight, like a clock spring.

Sometimes, strong drink is the only answer.
    A KODAK cassette did that? Dang, those things usually need a freakin' pry bar to open...
    Last edited by bobfowler; 05-02-2005 at 09:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    While shooting some portraits I put a back on with 3200 Ilford, to shoot the natural light indoors. I had to adjust the shutter to 125th. When I put the 100asa back on, I forgot to switch the shutter back to the sync speed of a 60th. I shot a total of 9 rolls that day, only one had complete pictures. The rest where half size. I had some explaining to do that day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Ed...here's another,

I was documenting a large Tattoo Convention which happens locally every year here, during this all day event [11.00am-midnight] I usually shoot a load of rolls. Anyway sometime late afternoon there was a guest entertainment section, some Rock Band from somewhere coming on stage in about 10 minutes time, I noticed that I'd got 10 shots to go in the roll....should I change the roll or shoot off 10 quick?

I started shooting off the ten, then got interupted by the event organiser [a simple question about something completely different] by this time the act was almost on stage. I forgot to change the roll!

I normally shoot almost everything in sight on stage so I would go through another roll on that one act alone, anyway a short time after things had calmed down I looked at the top of the camera and was shocked to find that the digital display read 75 shots. In horror I ran for the closest dark storeroom turned the light out, opened the camera a smidge and found that the entire roll was still lying across the blades but had not caught on the sprogs at the wind on end. So I had not only fired an extra 39 duff shots, but I'd also not fired the original 36 either.

This was a time when I could have easily stayed in the dark store room...well hidden away!

It was good that I'd had several rolls in the bag that were good and shot anothef fare few or so during the rest of the day to make up for the loss! All was not dispare?

Paul Berry

P.S. This is fastly becoming my favourite thread!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had bought my first roll of Kodak HIE. Loaded it in my camera while in the darkroom. Went out (15 min. drive) and started taking shots. I get up to 6 on the counter and the camera (auto winder) starts making funny noises. I take another shot and it the sprockets not catching the sprocket holes!
    Decision time! Drive home and attempt to fix this mis-feed in the darkroom where I can't see a thing, or open the camera back right then and there, re-spool and lose who knows how many frames!
    Needless to say, I lost about 10 frames out of 36 with an additional 3-4 with fogging along the edges. Good thing this was the practice roll.

Also done the "why does the counter read 32 on a 24 exp?" and exposed a roll of Delta3200 as if it was FP4. Have yet to develop that one, not sure if it's worth it.

Hehee... opps!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    A KODAK cassette did that? Dang, those things usually need a freakin' pry bar to open...[/QUOTE]

What a relief to read that. I only use Kodak film and have never been able to open the cassettes. I figured it was just me doing it wrong as usual.

To add to the thread my most recent disaster was to open the back of the camera before I'd rewound the film. I was so stunned I think I even hesitated a second or two before I slammed it shut. I nearly threw the roll out. Fortunately I changed my mind and was very surprised to find that it wasn't completely ruined.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Ya all know, it's a good thing this stuff "never" happens with sheet film! Boy, would I look foolish!
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall
    Ya all know, it's a good thing this stuff "never" happens with sheet film! Boy, would I look foolish!
    What are you talking about....c'mon Robert fess up!

I have removed the dark slide on the side facing the ground glass...with a 12x20 sheet no less! I have tried to focus with the holder on the camera, and wondered how come I could not see a thing.......I have removed the dark silde to see if I had film in the holder, in full daylight...
    I have removed the lens without putting the dark slide back in the holder......LF just gives you more innovative ways to screw up, that is all...

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ouch, Jorge! I hope you had a nice drink after that one.

I have removed the darkslide without closing the shutter blades a few times on 4x5 and a few times on 8x10.

I had a grafmatic jam on me during a workshop a couple of years ago and I lost 6 sheets of IR film because it was really jammed. After the same workshop, I was shooting some 4x5 halfway up a mountain and heard a pop when I pulled the darkslide. The film had popped out of one side of the holder and nothing I did would save it. I just pulled it out. Someone else had loaded this particular holder (note to self, always do it yourself).
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall
    You mean like when pulling holder from the case - grabbing it by the darkslide handles instead of the holder itself and having both slides come out and the holder hit the ground? In front of a LOT of people who were watching the guy with the "antique" camera? Or maybe you were talking about installing a bag bellows and forgetting to secure the clip at the bottom to the front standard? How about pulling the darkslide and hearing "THUNK" as the film fell out of the holder into the camera? Oh yes, lest we forget... How about shooting with an empty holder!?

Nah... Large format is absolutely FOOLPROOF!

hehehe
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    What are you talking about....c'mon Robert fess up!

I have removed the dark slide on the side facing the ground glass...with a 12x20 sheet no less! I have tried to focus with the holder on the camera, and wondered how come I could not see a thing.......I have removed the dark silde to see if I had film in the holder, in full daylight...
    I have removed the lens without putting the dark slide back in the holder......LF just gives you more innovative ways to screw up, that is all...

And let's not forget: Forgotting to flip the dark slide after taking the image (ending up with multiple images), not closing the shutter after focusing then pulling the darkslide (d-oh!), not loading film and shooting with an empty holder. Oh, I have done some real DUMB things in LF...just a little less expensively than you (I only have a 4x5, thank goodness).

S

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin