Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,348   Online: 1156

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DOH!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On my last LF outing I managed a lot of what's been said... I managed to leave the rear len caps on and wonder why I couldn't see anything, double exposure on one sheet... and the accompying blank sheet. I had a dark slide fall out while getting the DD from the bag and a Grafmatic that didn't sound right when cycled although that turned out ok. Other days I've gone to slide the darkslide back in and it wouldn't go cause the film had fallen out (at least you know about that one) and left the lens open while removing the darkslide. I've only done these once each... hopefully after I've performed all the stuff-ups possible I'll be very reliable!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmmm... I've NO idea what you guys are all talking about?! Mistakes? I'm with Graeme; don't believe I've ever made any.

Experimentation, now that's different. Empirical testing, also worthwhile:

Did you know it is TRUE that you can shoot a entire roll off a Leica without removing the lens cap? (Max-black test

It is also a fact that, as fast as my reflexes may be, I am unable to reinsert a film back/darkslide I have removed to discover film in there fast enough to prevent fogging. But I am still training on this one, so expect improvements.

In the "do I have enough shots left on this roll for this decisive moment or shall I reload now" blunder... counter reads 23. Cool, more than enough. Click, wind, stop. Expletive. Wtf? Odd, film must have jammed. Rewind, extract, new roll. Shoot shoot shoot... repeat. Frame 24, jam, expletive, wtf... Who in the Rochester firm decided to pack 24 frame rolls of Tri-X?! Only by the third roll did I "get it". :rolleyes:

Empirical test: Is it true that despite the massive red D on one bottle, and an equally massive blue F on another bottle, I will still prove that film will be blank if you fix before developing? And are your results statistically significant, or should you try the test AGAIN just to make sure?
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I'll admit it -- when I was shooting some portraits of my grandmother with my Ideal plate camera, I did forget to reinsert the dark slide before removing the holder, once. That's about the worst stuff-up I've had, other than forgetting to reset my light meter from ISO 100 to ISO 320 after switching from Fomapan to Tri-X, and even TXT doesn't suffer all that much by a 1.5 stop overexposure...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

travelling film

Ironicallly, this is my first post here. Thanks to everyone who participates - it's great!

How about placing your camera bag into the trunk of your car after a wedding, pulling out the various rolls of exposed 120 to organize them for the lab, lining them up on the bumper of your car as you work, getting distracted, closing the trunk and driving off WITH THE ROLLS STILL ON THE BUMPER.

Or:

Did you know that if you are shooting a wedding and standing up while trying to seal the "exposed" tape on the roll of 120, and you let yourself be distracted, and the roll slips out of your hands, there is a greater than 50% chance that when you reach to grab the roll, you will only get the backing, and the rest will automatically unroll!

Thankfully, the first happened to someone else, but the second happened to me - many years ago though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As this one has come back to life I've enjoyed re-reading it and even found some bits I missed.

Firstly welcome to APUG Matt I'm sure your enjoy it here, we are always happy to read about you and greet you properly in the "Introduce Yourself Forum" if you also want to say "Hi" there

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSperi
    ......In the "do I have enough shots left on this roll for this decisive moment or shall I reload now" blunder... counter reads 23. Cool, more than enough. Click, wind, stop. Expletive. Wtf? Odd, film must have jammed. Rewind, extract, new roll. Shoot shoot shoot... repeat. Frame 24, jam, expletive, wtf... Who in the Rochester firm decided to pack 24 frame rolls of Tri-X?! Only by the third roll did I "get it". :rolleyes:
    Did this one with HP5+ but the worst bit was that I asked the guy in the store for 36 expo, paid for 36 expo and didn't check before leaving the store or starting to shoot it. Happily I got a refund on the price difference when I went back to the store.

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSperi
    ......Empirical test: Is it true that despite the massive red D on one bottle, and an equally massive blue F on another bottle, I will still prove that film will be blank if you fix before developing? And are your results statistically significant, or should you try the test AGAIN just to make sure?
    I can second this one but so far only did it once, I got screw on caps on the wrong bottles ... well that's my excuse

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Had to be the phase of the moon, or something. Working with black and white, I inadvertently printed the image on *color* paper instead of black and white. Found out about that when I attempted to develop the print in black and white chemistry.
    OK .... One sheet wasted ... no great loss. Then I did it again. And AGAIN! Four (4) sheets into the circular file, before I realized that I had placed the Untrafine color paper in the compartment usually dedicated to black and white paper (it was empty at the time)!

Frustrated with myself, I transferred the color paper to the compartment used for 8" x 10" RA-4 color paper ... and I realized, with horror, that I had forgotten whether or not I had Fuji Crystal Archive in there.... I don't know whether I've mixed the two or not. I'll be able to tell after I process the paper - Fuji is "watermarked" on the back. Unfortunately that will be too late...

Booze is the only answer.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I went to a workshop in 2003 and we were in the darkroom making prints and for whatever weird reason, I kept getting completely black prints. It took me numerous sheets (and an expletive or two) and slamming my fists on the enlarger easel in frustration before I finally realized that I wasn't stopping down the aperture on the enlarging lens. No wonder I have since decided to start doing contact prints.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I rather didn't enjoy packing up all the 8x20 gear onto a cart and trekking back to the edge of nowhere for some hours to do some photography. Forgetting the screw to fasten the camera to the tripod (it's only a small thing) became unforgettable and I haven't forgotten it since.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was using a pearl finish paper (Acugrade) for the first time last night. Which side is the emulsion? I rediscovered diffused printing though the back of the paper a couple of times before I worked it out for sure ...

Images
    Good Evening,

Yesterday, I had occasion to photograph an event about ninety miles away. Mostly, this was an outside affair, but the possibility of needing fill flash or having to do some flash-only inside shots existed, so I was careful to take an extra battery pack for the Vivitar 285--just in case. When I arrived, unfortunately, I realized that I had forgotten to take the Vivitar 285! Fortunately, it wasn't a paying job or even a very important one.

Konical

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin