Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,174   Online: 926

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: DOH!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

DOH!

Ever had one of those days when you should have left the camera at home and saved yourself the aggravation?

I was shooting with my SQ-A in a greenhouse this afternoon - lovely orchids, BTW - and decided to shoot a couple of Polaroids to check exposure and lighting. I metered with my Gossen Ultra-Pro and incident dome attachment and determined the exposure to be 1/60th @ f/16.5 (80mm lens with an 18mm extension tube) on Portra 160. No problem, I pop on the Polaroid back (loaded with Fuji FP100C), drop the shutter speed down to 1/30th and open up 1/3rd stop. So far so good. Lock the mirror up, trip the shutter, pull the 'roid. Wait the prescribed time, pull the print and NOTHING!

OK, check it again - yes the darkslide was pulled - fire, pull, wait, peel - NOTHING!

This happens 2 more times before I notice that my AE prism was set to "auto", not "manual", and the speed switch on the Polaroid back was set to 3000!

I hate when that happens...

The 5th 'roid was perfect.

<sigh>
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfowler
    Ever had one of those days when you should have left the camera at home and saved yourself the aggravation?

Yeah. Today was one of those days. Got up early, drove down to San Jose before sunrise. Park the car in an underground garage (it's dark in here). Check something in my Micro-Trekker, rummage around in the car a little, find my keys, get out of the car, grab the camera back-pack and sling it over the shoulder....clunk, clang, KaaaCHUNK!

OH, <excrament>!!!! My new Nikkor 28/2.8 AIS ais on the concrete floor!!!!! <insert VERY long string of expletives here>.......forgot to zip the back pack shut.

why do they always land on the rim?

Shoulda just picked up my stuff and went home. The whole day - possibly whole week is ruined. Crap. Home now with my best old friend Jack...Daniels that is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GaussianNoise
    Yeah. Today was one of those days. Got up early, drove down to San Jose before sunrise. Park the car in an underground garage (it's dark in here). Check something in my Micro-Trekker, rummage around in the car a little, find my keys, get out of the car, grab the camera back-pack and sling it over the shoulder....clunk, clang, KaaaCHUNK!

OH, <excrament>!!!! My new Nikkor 28/2.8 AIS ais on the concrete floor!!!!! <insert VERY long string of expletives here>.......forgot to zip the back pack shut.

why do they always land on the rim?

Shoulda just picked up my stuff and went home. The whole day - possibly whole week is ruined. Crap. Home now with my best old friend Jack...Daniels that is.
    OUCH!!!

BTW - Rims are magnetically attracted to concrete - I found that out the hard way as well...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GaussianNoise
    ... grab the camera back-pack and sling it over the shoulder....clunk, clang, KaaaCHUNK!

OH, <excrament>!!!! ... why do they always land on the rim?
    I did this a while back at a parking lot at Yosemite! In my case, the body (Minolta SRT) took the impact and saved the lens. :rolleyes: It died instantly.

Bob:

At least you were shooting tests and not a product for a client! :o

Cheers

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    About 2 months ago I woke up at 5:30am on a Saturday and walked for a little over an hour to reach a prime location I wanted to shoot. Set up my tripod and camera and realized the film was no where to be seen. Walked an hour back home in a fit of rage and went to sleep.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    I did this a while back at a parking lot at Yosemite! In my case, the body (Minolta SRT) took the impact and saved the lens. :rolleyes: It died instantly.

Bob:

At least you were shooting tests and not a product for a client! :o

Cheers

David
    I hate when that happens... Lost a black Nikon F with a Photomic FTn finder off a boat into 85 feet of water once. The body didn't bother me as much as the loss of the 85mm f/1.8 lens. That pissed me off.

On the bright side, I souped the 3 rolls of 120 Portra this evening and my exposures were dead nuts on. It only cost me a half a pack of Fujiroid...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was the turn of the millenium, and I was running across a field to get some shots of the fireworks. In my rush, somehow the camera fell. The lens survived, the camera did not. I still have a F60 with a broken shutter sitting around. Haven't got around to fixing it yet....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I posted a while back about how the first time I got my wife's brand new D70 anywhere near water, it fell out of the case and into a river...

It happens to the best of us. Here are some pictures from Apollo 12. I did a close up on the camera, see if you can read the note near the dark slide lock. It isn't really clear, but it is worth reading for yourself.

I wonder if Armstrong had a similar reminder or if because of him, they added the note.

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Apollo_12_APUG.jpg   Apollo_12_Closeup_APUG.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was doing a documentary assignment in Spain, high up in the mountains in the middle of no-where, we were staying in this small conference centre/mountainside hotel, whatever you may want to call it. Anyway over there all the stairs are hard tiled, with those red equipment proof stone tiles.

In between shots I decided to take a shot from a balcony, I found the stairs, proceeded to take them two at a time and tripped just as I got to the first landing. I had my camera [a Pentax] in my hand decked out with Metz flashgun, in a vain effort to save the equipment, unsuccesfully] I busted the flash gun and dinted the zoom ring on my lens, which after that became very difficult to operate and unusable apart from on full extension. The only part of the flash that got most of the damage was the secondary lens. I was able to complete the assigment but with limitations and the necessity a greater degrea of creative thinking. When in doubt, walk!!

Paul Berry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've probably made every bone-headed mistake there is - at least that I can think of. There are probably more. One I vividly remember was at the end of a Fine Art session:

Me: "OK. Great work!! Get dressed and we'll go for coffee."

(Opens Hasselblad magazine to find - nothing! No film!!)

Me: "Uh ... Wait a minute. Uh, I just had an idea! One more roll.."

Model: "Yeah. Right. Forgot to load the magazine, didn't you, Slick.!"

Ouch. She called me "Slick".

Another, burned forever in my memory, is from my "Spot News" days (OK, OK - Paparazzi.)

I had some great work, and for once, no one else was around!!
    I removed a 35mm casette from my Olympus OM-4. Closed the back, and realized in classic slow motion that the precious casette was suspended in mid air. It began its inevitable descent. Now, Kodak casettes are notoriously difficult to open. In the darkroom, I usually have to exert so much force on them that I distort them to where I cannot re-use them.
    This one... Landed on a cement sidewalk, directly on the spool end. One would imagine that a three, three and a half, foot drop would not be much - but - NO! This time the end cap popped right off; the spool disassembled itself instantly, and I found myself watching the film unwind itself in noon-time Florida sunlight, like a clock spring.

Sometimes, strong drink is the only answer.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin