Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,355   Online: 839

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

bronica s2a whoa!!!!!

Just picked one up in near mint with an out of sequence serial number...
    works as it should, but I noticed the lens itself seems to JUMP when the mirror goes up and JUMP when it returns....I knew these things were loud and clunky, but a lens that literally MOVES, I wasn't in the the know about that....anyone have this happen to them?

cheers,
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsalomon
    Just picked one up in near mint with an out of sequence serial number...
    works as it should, but I noticed the lens itself seems to JUMP when the mirror goes up and JUMP when it returns....I knew these things were loud and clunky, but a lens that literally MOVES, I wasn't in the the know about that....anyone have this happen to them?

cheers,
    Mike
    Nope, have shot them for over 10 years now and never seen the lens jump, you don't happen to have the 105mm Nikkor on it do you, if you do, then your banging on the bottom of the mirror and causing damage, but never on any of my lenses have I seen the lens jump!, now my hands or a weak tripod head, I have seen them do this.

Its a great camera with good glass, have a ball.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the 75 mounted on it. The movement of the lens is very noticable when I release the shutter. I notice that while the lens is mounted, I can move it slightly...when the shutter is released, the lens moves slightly clockwise, then slighty counterclockwise when the shutter closes....could this be a lens mount issue?
    when I said the lens jumped earlier, I had just got it outta the box and was holding it in my hands....the movement I just described occured while mounted on a heavy tripod. Could this be a lens mount issue? It may or not make any differences, I just shot a test roll and Ill see tommorow if there is any blur issues...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I use my S2a it feels like the camera's going to ruin each shot by moving, but the reality is that all of the hard movement takes place after the shutter has closed. If you are actually seeing the lens move and you're sure it's on the mirror-up part of the cycle, then there's something seriously wrong.

I've had no problems hand-holding and getting sharp negatives with the S2a down to 1/30th of a second consistently, and at 1/15th about 80% of the time. The camera always feels as if each shot is ruined, but the negatives are tack-sharp. A year or two ago I finally decided to do some real investigating on the system. I found that the camera is very steady up until the moment the shutter closes, then all hell breaks loose. The jarring movements all occur after the image is safely on the negative.

By the way, what do you mean by an "out of sequence serial number"?
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back and forth movements sound suspiciously like the diaphram stopdown lever resisting being pushed by the body linkage. If the lens moves any at all and not with the focusing helicals you do have a mechanical problem.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used to have an S2A and I have to agree with Mongo, everytime I cocked the shutter I squeezed my eyes and said a prayer... There's actually quite a lot going on with the S2A when you take a picture. First the mirror comes down, rather than up like most SLR's. That means the light comming through the focusing screen needs to be blocked out because the mirror isn't there to block it, so a curtain covers it. Then there's the shutter, which is a curtain. And I was also told another curtain covers the mirror to prevent light from bouncing off it... so there's quite a lot going on and I'm sure so many mechanical things can occur that might cause problems.

I wouldn't have guessed the lens itself would move... Does the camera work fine, and do your negatives come out ok? Is the lens locked on completely? How about the helical focusing mount, is it attatched to the body securely?

If the problem isn't in the focusing mount (in which case you can buy a new one) then unfortunately I wouldn't have a clue what to do... except take it to the doctor!

Brent

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hadn't thought about Gary's idea about the stop-down lever resisting movement...but this could easily be the cause of your problem. If you unmount the lens, you should be able to move this lever very easily with your finger. If it resists movement, then you've probably found your culprit. You might try moving it a couple of dozen times manually to see if it loosens up. I don't know if these old linkages are lubricated, but it could be something as simple as the lubrication having gotten a little stiff over the years. If os, moving it a bunch of times manually might be enough to get the lubrication moving again.

Let us know what you find out.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It might be that something needs to be tightened up in the mount, or that the camera just needs a general CLA. If the diaphram is gummed up in the lens, for instance, you might be getting some motion when the stop down lever engages, as Gary suggests. Take the lens off and try moving the stop down lever on the lens manually and see if the aperture blades move freely. If not, then the lens needs a cleaning.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks again for the replies everyone, I appreciate everone taking the time to discuss this with me...

the aperture blades move great, I see no resistance whatsoever - smooth operation. what I have found is that the 2nd peice of the lens is moving, the one that is inserted into the focusing mount. If I fire the shutter with the lens removed and only the focusing mount attatched, I see no movement. I am suspecting the problem is that the lens is not screwing tightly enough into the focusing mount...any suggestions on how I may tighten this - is it even possible?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It may be that the mount, either on the lens or the helical, is worn. I think, though, that this is adjustable. I'm not sure if it would require a screw adjustment or bending something. I'd send it to Frank Marshman and have him look it over.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin