Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,646   Online: 943

Shooter
    Multi Format

zeiss lens terminology help?

Hi, I'm just getting into medium format, using a friend's hasselblad 503cxi. I've been looking around at lenses and was wondering if someone could explain to me the meanings of distagon, heliar, planar, sonnar etc. I've looked around online and haven't been able to find anything. Do they actually mean something, or are they just names? Thanks alot,

Scott

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think the terminology used by Zeiss is based on optical design!

SONNAR lenses are triple group design, the front group has a single element, the second has two, divided by one "fill in" between them, and the rear one has a double or triple component.
    Other companies using the same design refer to it as "Sonnar type".

However, it`s seems they can call HOLOGON to any deep-set super-wide optic, BIOGON to any deep-set wide-angle, DISTAGON for those that aren`t deep-set, PLANAR to high-speed normal or semi-wide lenses of symmetrical optical design,TESSAR to medium-speed ones and SONNAR to longer focal lenght lenses.

http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A8003B58B9...256A53003735CE

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Andre,
    Thanks so much for the explanation and the link.

Scott

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin