Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,935   Posts: 1,557,045   Online: 1269

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Difference Between a 180 and a 180 Super Mamiya Lens?

I picked up a 180 TLR lens on the Bay for an extremely cheep price. When it got here, it looks fine. How do I know whether it's a 180mm or a 180 super lens? What were the differences?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Super says 'SUPER' in nice red letters around the front element. There are some optical differences between the Super and the previous chrome (Seikosha shutter) and black (Seiko shutter) 180mm, including coating changes. The original 180mm is not a bad lens - but the Super would have an edge head-to-head. If the shutter is behaving, just put a lens hood on it and make pictures.

http://www.btinternet.com/~g.a.patterson/m_faq.html if you want the details differences.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go to the following URL, which is Graham Patterson's Mamiya TLR faq.

http://webdisk.berkeley.edu/~grahamp...html#Heading72

In short, the older design is 4 elements in 3 groups, and the new one 5 in 4. It's supposedly sharper, but I have the old 180 chrome lens, and it makes perfectly acceptable 15x15s. It takes a 49mm filter (which you've noticed by now), so it will take a 49mm Pentax lenshood meant for the 105 takumar, if you're looking for a cheap lens shade.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fparnold
    Go to the following URL, which is Graham Patterson's Mamiya TLR faq.

http://webdisk.berkeley.edu/~grahamp...html#Heading72

In short, the older design is 4 elements in 3 groups, and the new one 5 in 4. It's supposedly sharper, but I have the old 180 chrome lens, and it makes perfectly acceptable 15x15s. It takes a 49mm filter (which you've noticed by now), so it will take a 49mm Pentax lenshood meant for the 105 takumar, if you're looking for a cheap lens shade.

Thamks all for the info. I will agree, using other makers lens hoods works well with the TLR lens. I have a Nokor HN-2 (with 49 to 52 adapter) for my 65mm lens and it works well with no vignetting. I'll look into the Pentax Takky shade for the 180. I have 2 180s now, one has the auto cocking bar made for the C330, the other doesn't. I didn't know if this was the difference between the 2 . Thanks for the links.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are the same links, in practice. My primary server is at BTInternet in the UK, and I mirror the files at Berkeley. There are so many references to the original, including print, that I am sort of stuck maintaining the UK site from 6000 miles away.

Graham (Patterson)
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Graham,
    Thanks for the website. Essential reading I would say for anyone contemplating a (Mamiya) TLR. Regards, BLIGHTY

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin