Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,649   Online: 859

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Packing a Pro Photo Trekker AWII

I have a Pro Photo Trekker AWII, and I am curious about the different configurations others are using to pack their 4x5 camera and accessories. If you would please described what you pack and how it is arranged in the pack.
    I have a Wista 4x5 and it is at the base and off to the side of the pack. On the other side of the camera I have 4 4x5 film holders. Above the camera I have the 90mm, 150mm, and 210mm lenses. At the top of the pack I have my Polaroid film holder.
    Maybe I am doing something wrong because I need to get more items in the pack and there is not enough room. So I am asking all the folks here for advice.

Thanks

Gary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary892
    Maybe I am doing something wrong because I need to get more items in the pack and there is not enough room. So I am asking all the folks here for advice.
    This is a physical property of packs. Einstein predicted it. A pack will shrink to 90% of the space required at any given time. (In other words, it is a property of space/time).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    BTW, I have the AWII and I pack in a Wista, and I carry just about the same stuff as you. In addition, I get my spot meter, my filters, my cable release, and my dark cloth in the main compartment. (I don't have the 210 lens, I just have the 135 mounted on the camera and a Nikon 90 in a compartment).

I too have the camera at the bottom on one side. I can get some other little dodads in, like an extra lens for my walkaround camera (either a Nikon or a Mamiya 6) If I happen to bring that along. But we're in the same ballpark I think.

Images
    Hi Gary,
    I have the Photo Trekker AWII, which I believe is slightly smaller than yours. I have my 4x5 wood field camera at the center bottom, oriented vertically, 90,150,210 & 300 lenses on Tech boards and Linhoff view finder. All of these items are wrapped in Calumet lens cloths, including the camera. A Minolta F spot meter in case, 6 72mm filters in the plastic boxes, 3 stepping rings, polaroid back & film, 6 filmholders and a loupe. All arranged in the compartments around the camera, This pretty much fills the main compartment. Notebook, pens, release cable, spare batteries, lens tissue, blow brush, reading glasses and center filter in the "lid". Dark cloth and 32" Photoflex reflector in the outside back pockets. Berlebach wood tripod strapped to the back.

Not much room after that!!

Cheers,
    Geary
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for, and your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. – John Prine

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a S&F Trekker Lite which is even smaller. The bottom compartment contains 90/8, 135/3.5, 150/4.5 and 210/4.5 lenses on linhof boards, with one "pocket left empty. Some times there will be a different set of lenses, like 120/180/240/360, but always with one free pocket.
    In the top I have a Linhof Color pushed all the way to the back of the rail, which projects down into the empty pocket in the bottom compartment. On top of and beside that is anything up to 10 film holders, Pentax spot meter (analog), black T-shirt, changing bag, and one empty and one new film box. The tripod mount of the camera is mounted on the tripod, which is in a separate bag. A Linhof finder is in the right jacket pocket, focusing loupe in the left.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use a Lowepro Rover AW Plus and it fits my 4x5 Arca-Swiss F-Line Classic with 90mm Grandagon attatched in the bottom compartment, protected by a Domke Wrap and the focusing cloth. The top portion fits my 6 film holders, a 150mm and 210mm lens (both on those huge Arca-Swiss lensboards) and I sometimes pack my Arca-Swiss monoball and the rest of the telescoping monorail from the F-line in the top as well. I also still have a lot of room left over for more (like my other 6 film holders, water bottle, etc...). The side pockets carry my light meter and focusing loupe.

I used to use a Photo Trekker AW but I found it to be too bulky (though I admit it is a bit more convienent for getting gear more quickly). However, I found that the Rover AW Plus was a much nicer backpack for longer walks since it holds weight a bit closer to my body and it's much more comfortable (though I think the only difference in the harness is that the straps are mesh-lined... other than that it's supposed to be the same as the trekker series harnesses)

I

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My packed Photo Trekker AW II is shown in the attachments below. I can fit the Shen Hao, 10 film holders (or Pola holder & film), 3 lenses, spot meter, focussing cloth, loupe, reflex viewer, 6 - 8 filters, etc, etc, etc, in the Photo Trekker which is smaller than your bag. See if the camera will fit on it's side - it *almost* does in my bag - it may do so in yours which will free up some room.

An interesting article, followed by a discussion on the LF Photo board here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/camera-bag/

Cheers, Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trekker1.jpg   Trekker2.jpg  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin