Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,413   Online: 1097

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

RZ67 ProII vs. RB67 ProSD

I'll probably buy a new MF format rig in the very near future (new to me, I'll buy used gear) and I'm somewhat torn between the RZ and RB. Big and heavy isn't a problem as I'll be shooting off a tripod and I'm used to a Rollei SL66. I mainly shoot urban landscapes but sometimes do straight nature stuff. I thought long and hard about a 4x5 with a roll-film back or even a 2x3 view camera but the lens quality and convenience of a MF camera won out in the end. I'll also buy a cheap 8x10 later this summer but that will be for a whole different type of photography than the MF rig.

Does anyone have any opinions about the relative merits of the RB Pro SD & RZ Pro II other than the obvious price differential?

What I'd really like is the Fuji GX680III but I am not confident in Fuji's future support of a complicated electronic film camera even though thay say it will be supported for 10 years.

TIA,

Thomas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an RB67 Pro-S and I really love it. Aside from the cost, what I liked more about it was that it is an all mechanical camera (no battery). I think if your battery dies in the RZ you can only shoot at 1/400th of a sec. which I rarely shoot at. I think either camera, though, is great.
    -Grant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a RB67 Pro (no S or SD) and have zero complaints. Well maybe the weight, but I too can live with it. I think the main difference between the two is the RZ has the built in meter. Which is likely why it's more money.
    I see a bit more stuff for the RZ than the RB (but not by much) on e-pay. Never used an RZ so I can't really do a fair comparison.
    I got the RB simply because I had the money at the sametime it was offered up here by a fellow APUGer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The RZ is an almost fully electronic camera. The meter is electronic, of course, but so is the timing on the shutters. The shutters on RZ's will tend to drift less over time than the shutters on RB's (mechincal shutters should be CLA'd occasionally to maintain their accuracy), but if you lose battery power the RZ is all but dead. As long as that's not a problem for you, the RZ is a fine camera.

One thing to think about, though, is the repairability of the cameras in the future. The RB, being an all mechanical beast, should be easier to repair in the far future. At some point the only source for RZ electronics will be old RZ's; the RB will give you the option of having parts fabricated by a skilled worker.

The was my primary reason for buying an RB rather than an RZ. (I got the RB Pro-S, by the way. I like the safety interlocks it offers.) I intend to use the camera for as long as I possibly can, and having a camera that could be fixed based stricly on the skill of a craftsman rather than on the availability of electronic parts was important to me. Does it matter in the real world? Probably not...but I just felt better about it and I'm more willing to bounce the camera around in my backpack knowing that I can probably get it fixed long after the parts have all disappeared.

Two other thing to note: the RZ is lighter than the RB. The RB has more metal in the camera whereas the RZ uses more high-tech plastics. Personally I don't have a problem with the use of good plastics in cameras...you might love them (for the weight savings) or hate them (for the perceived weakness). Also, the RB requires two separate movements to wind the film and to cock the shutter. On the RZ you only have to wind the film; the shutter re-cocks automagically.

Good luck with your decision. They're both fantastic systems if the size isn't a problem.

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I too have the RB Pro-S. Great camera. The lenses have wonderful resolution, backs can be found cheaply, and you can always use sunny 16 if your meter is dead. Locally the newer RZ's are about the same price or less than the Pro-S or Pro-SD on the used market.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the insight everyone. My main attraction to the RZ series actually has little to do with the cameras, it's the newer lens designs. In particular, I would like the 50/f4.5 ULD.

I know you can use the RB lenses on the RZ but does it work the other way also? Of course the Mamiya website was no help at all on this.

T.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to have an RB-67 ProS and I traded it to my best friend for his Hasselblad 500c/m. I kind of regret that decision sometimes. I felt I was alot more creative with the RB than the Hassel. This is subjective of course. Image quality-wise, we did a comparison of the same image shot exactly the same with both cameras and enlarged them as much as a Besseler 23C could and we saw no difference whatsoever between the 2. I would highly recommend this camera. For what you're planning on doing with these cameras, I see no reason why one camera would be an advantage over the other, besides as you said the lens availablity. One more great, great thing about the RB (not sure about the RZ since I've never used one) is the bellows focusing. You can get in extremely close without a need for extension tubes. Good luck and post some results after you get the camera.
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thomas,

I'm not 100% sure but I believe that the new 50 will not work on the Pro-S, it might on the SD however. But, all is not lost, there is the 55 available for the Pro-S or SD and a 38mm is out there too. See what they have at KEH (an apug sponsor, and one of my favorite used equipment dealers).

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's been a 50mm available for the RB for quite a long time. There are both pre-C and C versions of the lens. It is one of the lenses that wasn't re-designed when the K/L lenses were released. The 50mm C lens is a fine performer; just make sure you understand how the floating element works an you should be very happy with it.

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have an RZ67 with 4 lenses. I have been more than satisfied with the RZ and all of the lenses. I have no experience with the RB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin