Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,794   Online: 1022

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 70mm film backs

Shooter
    Multi Format

70mm film backs

How much film would one of these backs hold? Would they be comparable to 120 film backs in length of spool capacity, or can they hold a longer length? Anybody using these on any brand/model/format camera?

I'm using a Mamiya RB67, but would like to here from anyone using or has used this size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Graflex RH-50 holder should fit your camera, takes 50 6x7 shots/load.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The standard size cassete is 15feet. Some of the over grown ones aimed I guess at the school portrait market handled a full 100 feet. To compare 220 is about 5 feet.

The Graflex Dan mentioned is nice because it'll use any kind of film you can load into a cassete. OTOH I think the Mamiya back only handles perforated film. I get the impression perforated will go away before unperforated.

Consider how you intend to process the film.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Also, check to see what's left--mostly color neg portrait films and aerial B&W and maybe some kind of transparency duping film.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Trying this myself. David Romano's website is showing that he's expecting an order of b&w Kodak IR film (Type 2424), but is asking $750 per 150' roll. Seems high. Does anyone remember what it previousl went for? B&H no longer shows it on their site. FWIW, Kodak has pretty high minimum orders on the 70mm film these days. Between 4 and 18 rolls depending on film type.

While we're on the 70mm topic, how do you attach the film to the spool in the 15' cartridges? I found one website mention a metal clip, but none of the ones I have (all Kodak, from two different sources) have a metal clip, just a smooth plastic spool. Will tape work okay? If so, what type is best?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    J&C is bringing in EFKE B&W film. Non perforated I think.

All my cans have clips but I can't think why tape wouldn't work. Obviously it's a bigger piece of film so you'll want a better grip on the film then with a 35mm spool.

http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/ir_sizes.htm

According to that in 2000 150 feet was $280.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Nick. What does the clip look like? Does it stay on the spool or does it come off? Is it the full width of the spool? I'm just trying to picture it so I can maybe make one or two.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a hasselblad 70mm back for sale for $85 including shipping. Also includes one cassette.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The clip is small. Without measuring I'd say less then 1/2". It comes off. Not a full circle. Just a ring with I guess a 45degree section cut out of it. Best way to describe it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    The standard size cassete is 15feet... Consider how you intend to process the film.
    That's another detail I am considering. I'll be sticking with the 120 backs for now.
    With cut down HIE at $16(USD) a roll +shipping+ international handling, or Maco's at $13(CDN) in stock, looks like I won't be doing any Kodak HIE in the near future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin