Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,444   Online: 1161

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went into the opposite direction. I needed other focal lengths than just the 80mm and had to bite the bullet. I had to sell a very nice collectors condition 2,8f white face as I couldn't afford to keep both. Good move at that time as far as my photography was concerned but I still wish I could have kept both as the Rollei is a very nice and capable camera. If a normal lens is all you need in MF sell the Hasselblad, have the Rollei overhauled, buy a new groundglass for it and don't look back.
    Last edited by skahde; 05-14-2005 at 02:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would offer one warning, concerning selling the Hasselblad outfit. It is a "soft market" right now for medium format equipment. Getting what it's worth might be difficult. The good side of that bad coin is that the prices of lenses, backs and accessories to fit the Hasselblad are currently favorable to buyers. If you want to expand the 'blad outfit, it's a good time to do so.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Need advice....

Your reasoning for the sale is sound, your usage of 35mm suggests it is working in creating your vision, and a tlr, particularily this tlr, is good for when you might need 6X6 in capture of that vision. What would you like to resolve in your mind about this issue before taking action?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr David Hall
    Your reasoning for the sale is sound, your usage of 35mm suggests it is working in creating your vision, and a tlr, particularily this tlr, is good for when you might need 6X6 in capture of that vision. What would you like to resolve in your mind about this issue before taking action?
    Dr Hall,
    Good observation. I guess it is obvious that I have an issue with selling any camera. I tend to get a bit attached to posessions which help in my pursuit of the perfect image. I was watching a documentary last night where the photographer was using almost the exact camera and every time the shutter went off I got goose bumps.

Thanks to everyone for their sound advice. I don't think there was one answer that didn't make sense in this situation. I need to do some more thinking now.
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lee,
    I took a look on eBay to see how 'soft' the market really is. You weren't kidding. I'm having second thoughts about selling now. Most of the similar auctions were going for around $800. I really don't want to take that kind of hit. On the bright side (as you said), lenses are dropping in price and maybe I can pick one up in the distant future.
    Ara

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Price out a Polaroid back for the Hassy, and that might solve your other problem.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David,
    Actually, I have a Polaroid back for the Hassy. Are you saying I should just use the Hassy as a Polaroid camera? That's a great idea. Why didn't I think of that? Thanks, man.
    Ara

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Ara,
    Just an observation. I have never heard of anyone saying "Boy, am I glad I sold that Hasselblad." I have heard/read several people say just the opposite. If your situation is such that you really need to sell it to get what you want, then you may need to sell it. But if you can at all hang on to it (and still meet your photographic needs), then you probably should.
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=Blue][FONT=Times New Roman]Allen Karsina[/FONT][/COLOR] :cool:[/SIZE]

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by akar
    Hi Ara,
    Just an observation. I have never heard of anyone saying "Boy, am I glad I sold that Hasselblad........" .
    I would - IF I had the good fortune to have the Rollei SL66 instead!

that's a camera! and it's cheap! pol an'all...

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Forgive me , but if you've found only one usage for the Hasselblad in years, is this the right way to approach the issue? By which I mean is it not the case that the disposal of the Hasselblad is a given (and quickly; prices are dropping) and that the real issue is whether to get the Rollei fixed and keep it or whether that should go as well? I mean you say that you'd like to have the bigger image when you need it, but it does rather sound like you never actually need it. Either get the Rollei fixed in the belief that you'll use it, or shed that one too.

Buying used Medium format equipment is not difficult. If you later decide to make images that would benefit from a bigger image, its going to be easy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin