Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,720   Online: 972

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

ND Filter + Red Filter

Before I might waste som shots trying, I would like to know if anybody here has experience using a Red 25 and a ND-8 at the same time ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Together that's six to seven stops, but you probably know that. An important issue with deep red filters concerns focus. Yes, even visible red light will focus out. If you focus through the filters, sometimes you still have to make an extra little nudge of the focus. If you have an IR mark, actual focus is about 30% towards it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes I realize focussing might become a bit of a hassle, I will shoot Efke 25 and together with the filters mentioned I need not to worry about any movement, Hyperfocal focussing will be applied anyway and innitially shooting at f8 or f11 I don't think I need to worry to much, but I will do a series of testshots anyway, at different F stops and will also focus with-, and without the filters. I have a certain impression in my mind of what I want as an end result which is really hard to put under words at this moment but I will surely post some results if they come out anywhere close to what I originally intended. Issue however is very sharp fixed object which my lens normally achieves very well, I hope by using two filters it will not loose out on quality.

I will be shooting this with a Hasslblad with 80mm and 40mm

Thanks for your reply

Magnus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Given the combined filter factor, I'll risk stating the obvious, but two words come to mind: failure, and reciprocity... don't forget them, and you'll be fine.
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Multi Format
    NikoSperi, ... exactly, these words come to my mind too, followed ba shere dissapointment ... hence the question posted here.
    However I have looked at a plate of raw chicken liver before and thought "disgusting, yackee" until my Italian friend Marco came along and told me he would make something delicious out of them, and actually succeeded very, very well .... I'me hoping for a similar effect here :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Then again how would I shoot deep, really deep contrast with 30 sec. at f8 in bright daylight and come up with good results ?

(I see now that chicken liver will not help me here!)

:-)

Magnus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's not enough for 30 seconds of full sun. If my math is right at F/8 you're still under 1 second. Assuming six stops between the two filters.

120? Sure you don't want to do it with sheet film? Then you could just use lith film-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not full sun actually, I measured it the last couple of days. anything from say 3 + seconds is good, depending on the intensity of the sun. And yes 120 (6x6) is the only thing I have, well apart from 35mm.

I have the ND filter to manage the whole thing singularly (I have lots of ND's, I love shooting "slow") but it's the intense contrast I'me after.....

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus
    Yes I realize focussing might become a bit of a hassle
    You could always focus and then insert the filters. Reasonably easy if you use slide in Cokin filters in a holder.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Note that Hasselblad has two different recommendations for hyper-focal distance: specifically for critical work they do NOTa recommend that you use the settings marked on the lens, but something more conservative. Do that. If you want an example of how far out of acceptable their lens markings are, just ask and I shall show youl, but again, it should be obvious.
    Last edited by jjstafford; 05-17-2005 at 07:55 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin