Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,835   Online: 1114

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Interesting--so does it have a glass film carrier? That would be a cool thing.
    Nah, it would be too much trouble to keep cleaning the moon dust off of it.

I Googled on "Apollo moon photos", almost every site in the list had to do with whether the moon visits were a hoax.
    The internet is so educational :rolleyes:
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    35mm
    You would be better served with a standard SWC and 500CM than either camera. I would love to have a Mark 70 with 60mm f5.6 Biogon and 100mm 3.5 Planar with Reseau plates. Just think about your strret photos with a nice grid...perfect for squares.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    Nah, it would be too much trouble to keep cleaning the moon dust off of it.

I Googled on "Apollo moon photos", almost every site in the list had to do with whether the moon visits were a hoax.
    The internet is so educational :rolleyes:
    NASA has most of the images from the missions on a site somewhere in 3MB files that are good to about 8x10. There are 3 companies that are allowed to scan the negatives if you want one of the more obscure images or one of higher resolution.

We got the picture of Buzz Aldren ("Visor") from one of these companies. They were *very* cool about it, and let us have a high-res version for free. Even after cropping, it was good for a 16x20 image.

Take a look at the original--major tilt. Even the versions normally shown have some tilt to the horizon.

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails as11 40 5903 APUG.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are a legitimate auction house that specializes in collectible cameras. You can sign up for their auctions directly on their website, which I would do rather than going through eBay. I know J. P. Mose has bought one or two items from them, if he's around here (I run into him mostly on on the LF forum).
    I tried to work with an eBay "Live" auction a while back. I couldn't get in to use it. I would go direct to the Westlicht site if I could use that.

Too bad--a Burke and James 8x10 with lens went for $60! Darn.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personally, I'm waiting for the NASA Aerotechnika myself.
    As I recall, the one Apollo mission where they tried this, it failed. They were going to do a detailed lunar map, but the CM pilot couldn't get the camera to work. I forget which mission this was, but it was probably around 14 or 15.

They didn't consider it worth the fuel to lift the Hassy's off the lunar surface. This LF camera never went down, but it could be that it was left in the LEM to make room lunar rocks or something.

Matt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    According to The Linhof Camera Story NASA bought 5 Aerotechnikas, modified them somewhat, and they have been working perfectly since 1983--can't vouch for earlier than that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to The Linhof Camera Story NASA bought 5 Aerotechnikas, modified them somewhat, and they have been working perfectly since 1983--can't vouch for earlier than that.
    I was incorect. I was thinking of the "Hycon" camera used for Apollo 14. As near as I can tell, it was a modified U2 camera.

The cameras since 1983 would have been space shuttle toys. Hence, they would return to earth. The Hycon may have burned up with the LM.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    NASA has most of the images from the missions on a site somewhere in 3MB files that are good to about 8x10...
    Matt
    NASA Langley
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    NASA Langley
    I used to know the sites pretty well--Langley has images, but I can't find them quickly right now.

Most of the more famous ones can be found at grin (Great Images in NASA). They have some very high res scans.

http://grin.hq.nasa.gov/
    http://grin.hq.nasa.gov/subject-space.html

Johnson space center (jsc) has an archive as well
    http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/

I think this is the one I remember using the most. The have the 3MB scans of each image.
    http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/
    with this one for Apollo
    http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/...llo/index.html

This site lists the different archives:
    http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/luceneweb/image_sites.jsp

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just an update,

Both cameras sold for about $34,000. I sure wish I had a $34,000 camera...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin